Gransnet forums

Technology

My computer got locked

(17 Posts)
johnalen Wed 04-Nov-20 10:15:48

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Yellow101 Thu 24-Sep-20 06:52:55

Frous11 Mon 26-Jun-17 07:47:33

Yes, Hiren's includes the "Offline NT Password & Registry Editor" that does it although it requires a fair bit of user input. As you say it just clears the password in question.

I'll give it a try sometime just out of interest, it supposedly works with everything up to W7.
www.hirensbootcd.org/resetting-windows-password/

www.iseepassword.com/how-to-crack-my-windows-password.html

and more other tools like ntpassword, ophcrack.

kimanders Wed 17-May-17 07:38:15

Thanks for the tip, Jacllly. I am able to get it unlocked.

Jacllly Wed 17-May-17 03:14:07

Anddery Mon 15-May-17 08:04:08

kimanders Mon 08-May-17 08:00:43

Thanks for the tip. The problem of mine is a bit different. The account was added by myself and i am also terrible about remembering things.

hildajenniJ Sat 06-May-17 10:00:41

I did what heathcorner17 said. I had to use my tablet to get Microsoft to send me a reset code, then I had to reset my password through it. I chose a different password, but had to write it down and store it in my drawer because I am terrible about remembering strings of letters and numbers.

kimanders Sat 06-May-17 02:17:46

@ Elegran, reboot doesn't work.

Plus, if I clicked restore option, it means the data before restore point would be deleted ,right?

M0nica Fri 05-May-17 18:53:34

I assume you are sure that the contact from Microsoft was genuine and it was not a scam.

Heathcorner17 Fri 05-May-17 10:45:37

If you can not get past the opening screen, sign into your microsoft account with another device (eg smartphone) and select that you have forgotten your password. This will allow you to reset it smile

Heathcorner17 Fri 05-May-17 10:40:35

I assume that you can not get past the opening screen without a password. If you can, go to settings, type 'restore' into the search box at the top and it will offer you a 'restore to an earlier date' option. Just choose a time before you updated and you should be ok.

grannylyn65 Fri 05-May-17 09:43:12

Oh no ! Windows 10, weren't you warned !angry

Elegran Fri 05-May-17 09:33:27

Just seen that you said "after it rebooted" but maybe it didn't reboot?

Elegran Fri 05-May-17 09:32:07

Try restarting it. I once did an upate (can't remember whether it was W10 but I think it was) and found the same thing happened.

Apparently, to get past your password and into the system to do the update, Windows has to create another "user" and do it via that. If you have not selected "After update, restart", somewhere or other, the computer is then stuck as that user until it has been turned off then on again, and as you don't know any password for the new "user" you can't do anything.

tanith Fri 05-May-17 09:25:33

There is a way to restore yor computer to a previous date/time before you made changes. I am not clever enough to tell you howblush but I'm sure someone will be along who can

kimanders Fri 05-May-17 08:53:36

I received a notification to upgrade my Windows 10. I did as Microsoft asks me to do. But when it rebooted, my initial password was no longer accepted by the computer. Now , i am locked out.

This sounds crazy. Any way to fix it?