Gransnet forums

Technology

Change network and keep the same number?

(6 Posts)
mcem Thu 20-Jul-17 21:07:30

Very simple to keep the same number. I've had the same number for many years including switching networks and several phones. Advice to use uswitch is good.

Primrose65 Thu 20-Jul-17 20:51:40

Goodluck Eddiecat and let us know how you get on smile

eddiecat78 Thu 20-Jul-17 15:21:33

Thanks both - I seem to have a mental block about sim cards! I think I must have got a child to do it in the past

CassieJ Thu 20-Jul-17 15:13:46

Where we are we can only use Vodafone, we don't get a signal from anyone else. Very frustrating when we have visitors on other networks!

You can keep the same number, follow links above. If not, to find the new number just use your fathers phone to phone yourself and you will then have the new number.

Primrose65 Thu 20-Jul-17 12:38:17

First, check that the handset he is using is not tied to the EE network. Here's a link to Ofcom, which explains it much better than me
www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/mobile-phone-locking-and-unlocking

Here's a link to the step-by-step process to change the number
www.uswitch.com/mobiles/guides/porting-your-mobile-phone-number/

It's very easy to change the new SIM to the old number smile

eddiecat78 Thu 20-Jul-17 12:32:19

Please bear in mind that I haven`t got a clue what I am doing!

Elderly father has a mobile on EE which has a very poor signal - his care home says Vodafone has a better signal. He needs to keep the same phone or he won`t know how to use it.
I`ve ordered a Vodafone sim to go in his phone - will this mean he has a new number? If so, how will I know what the new number is?