Gransnet forums

Technology

Are computers getting more complicated?

(58 Posts)
Smurf52 Sat 26-Aug-17 13:55:26

I was working with computers in the 1980s when they first appeared. I considered myself quite computer savvy. At home I had a desktop PC with Windows XP. If I drafted a letter on Word and then saved it, I knew exactly where the document was.

Now with Windows 10 I am totally flummoxed. I create a letter, save it and it disappears into this so called Cloud business or whatever never to be found again. Bring back XP!!

Does anyone else have this problem or is my brain too old for modern technology....?

FarNorth Tue 29-Aug-17 13:09:51

I recently had to pay £40 for a repair as my laptop suddenly stopped being able to access any documents, photos etc stored on it (not in any cloud), while still being okay to use internet.

I was told the problem was caused by a Windows 10 update! Imagine my annoyance, reader!

MTDancer Tue 29-Aug-17 12:02:48

I am lucky as I have no problems but poor hubby struggles, especially with the software that he needs to use for work. I try to help as much as possible but it does frustrate me sometimes when he can't remember how to do something simple. I try hard to have patience though.

Azie09 Tue 29-Aug-17 11:25:20

HMarie I had the same problem as you with my old IPad (^refusing to do anything unless I key in an Apple ID for a long-defunct email address^), the reason is that you cannot yourself change the primary email address through your Apple account!! Presumably their software was written before people regularly changed their email addresses?

Anyway, one day I decided to phone the Apple helpdesk. At first the helpdesk person said nothing could be done so I launched into a harangue - Apple are one of the biggest corporations in the world and you can't allow me to make a simple change, I've been using Apple computers since the year dot, still have an original IPad...and so on whereupon she consulted her manager and they put me through to someone in the US (their cost) who spent a long time trying to understand my problem and when she finally got it, she made the changes online and changed my primary email so now, hurrah, I have an up to date Apple ID! How bizarre that they haven't allowed this simple change by the user, must be millions with the same problem.

With regard to the OP, I've been a computer user since the very earliest days and used to have some technical skill and was trained in numerous programs on both Apple Macs and Windows computers. I now think that our computer-run world has become absurdly complicated for the ordinary user from how to store data, to online bookings, virus protection, software installation and updates and myriad matters. I loathe Windows 10, my computer recently spent 2 hours installing the latest updates, was unusable in that time and had, again, I realised reset some of my defaults. Bl**dy Microsoft, if a car manufacturer sold a car that was undriveable for hours at a time while it took itself off to a garage to be serviced, they would go out of business but we are now all in hock to this massive corporation!

dirgni Tue 29-Aug-17 09:41:48

You need an iPad- much easier to use!

pollyperkins Tue 29-Aug-17 09:03:37

I save documents etc onto computer hard drive in files and try to rember to back up onto memory sticks every so often.

pollyperkins Tue 29-Aug-17 09:02:05

I agree with. Chicken legs. I think I may be using the cloud and certainly pay 79p a month for something or other. But no idea how to store stuff on the cloud or crucially how to retrieve it.
I do store photos on dropbox but it keeps getting full...
So I print some pff and put in an album, and then delete them! In my opinion that means future generations will be able to access them when our digital devices are redundant!

Coco51 Mon 28-Aug-17 23:31:58

I hate the cloud storage and having to download your docs every time you want to open again, but you can opt to save them on your device, unless it is one of those Windows laptops that only operates online. Never too old to learn, just might take a bit longer!

Bicigran Mon 28-Aug-17 20:26:55

I dont like windows 10 and wish I had not upgraded my windows 7. My next laptop will be Apple. Since the last update, which is automatic, a month agoish I can no longer delete my memory cards to add new books from RNIB. I will go mad without a book to listen to. I googled the problem but still cant do it. Now it pains me that I will have to pay someone to sort it.

NanKate Mon 28-Aug-17 20:03:42

Primrose65 I am a visual learner and your description of the Cloud was perfect. flowers Many thanks.

Bambam Mon 28-Aug-17 19:16:52

Thank goodness for icloud. My DS saved my iPhone to it for me and what a relief that was when I got my phone wet and it just died. All my photos, numbers and everything popped back into my new phone from cloud. Yay!!

maddy629 Mon 28-Aug-17 17:48:23

I use a computer with Windows 10 and I cope perfectly well, even at the advanced age of 72. My husband worked for Clive Sinclair back in the day and I started using a computer a long time ago. You are never too old to learn new things and it keeps your brain working properly.

Skweek1 Mon 28-Aug-17 16:35:26

I learnt how to program in several languages, was very tech-savvy, but now I see myself as an "end-user". Pretend to be less competent than I am, so can get my family to sort things out for me, but positively loathe my smartphone, which is a lot smarter than me! I want to make phone calls, send the occasional text and take occasional photos. Use my laptop for everything else. And don't like the "cloud".

Rosina Mon 28-Aug-17 16:35:02

Windows! Oh dear I really must check my comments and remember that I type 'fast and badly '.

Rosina Mon 28-Aug-17 16:33:34

I loved Windows XP ; when our old PC died two years ago we bought a new model with Windows 8 and a promise of a free upgrade to Windows 10 in a few months when it was launched; evidently 8 wasn't considered to be worth keeping. I really do dislike Windows 10 - even its appearance isn't as good as XP, and the upgrades happen without warning. Last time it launched into an upgrade we then couldn't use it properly and had to get the system sorted out by an expert. If I could revert to Widows XP I would do it in a flash, but the problem is that Microsoft withdraw any support after a period of time.

RosemarySuperager Mon 28-Aug-17 16:25:02

I find the cloud business very irritating. It's very easy to exceed the amounts of storage that are given for free and then you have to pay for evermore to keep your own things.

I try to keep everything on my own computer, but I take too many photos!

Please don't say you're too old! We're Never Too Old to do something new - and it's good for your brain to wrestle with the difficulties. It helps keep it in good working order for a great old age.

Direne3 Mon 28-Aug-17 14:26:39

Atqui , try hitting Ctrl then 0 which should return you to 100% (assuming that's your problem). Wish Windows wouldn't keep doing their dodgy updates which really mucks up my system until they reset (often after several days).

Jaycee5 Mon 28-Aug-17 14:15:35

I agree. I wish I hadn't upgraded to Windows10 but I couldn't reverse it because I had to upgrade twice and apparently that means you are stuck with it. It also loses the free DVD but they don't tell you that until after it has happened.

Dianic Mon 28-Aug-17 13:52:53

We bought a Cloud of our own - external storage - as I'm a bit paranoid about protecting pics of our DGS... and it has 1TB of storage which is adequate for our needs. They come in all sizes too. Got ours at Currys/PC World when we bought new laptops last year.
If you "lose" something on Windows 10, just use the search box at the bottom left hand side of your task bar!
IMHO, Windows has always been clever at storing your data and then bloody hiding it...

willa45 Mon 28-Aug-17 13:33:51

I heard a joke recently about a couple having a marital spat. The husband was a 'techie', a computer 'nerd' or however it is people like to call them. The arguing continued on and off for several days and then the girl had to give in. Why? He threatened to put Windows 10 in her computer. smile

Babette Mon 28-Aug-17 13:06:51

@ grandmattie. Well done. Same here. Never used the cloud as I am suspicious here it is stored. India? Like all emails, even the deleted ones.

Babette Mon 28-Aug-17 13:03:25

To SMUF52. Windows 10 is rubbish. We were warned and I never updated or downloaded it.
Microsoft is a money making machine.

grandMattie Mon 28-Aug-17 12:49:53

I've solved the data storage stuff neatly. I don't trust the Cloud, whoever runs it as I think it is as leaky as a sieve. When I got my new computer, after a catastrophic and terminal crash and I lost mountains of photos and other stuff, my computer man got me a separate hard drive which only saves Word and photos - but you can choose what you want. Unless you store millions of Gb of data, it is perfectly useful for the average person, like me, and easily portable in case of a fire or other disaster.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 28-Aug-17 12:20:21

The 'jargon' is my problem.
As the old song says 'bewitched, bothered and bewildered'.That's me

Hm999 Mon 28-Aug-17 11:43:51

I'm ok with technology I use regularly, but when I'm shown something and don't have to use it again for ages, I'm rubbish.

chickenlegs Mon 28-Aug-17 11:34:33

I pay 79p per month for icloud storage but I don't know how to put things on it or get them back. And I wouldn't know how to let family etc. see any of it but not all of it.