Gransnet forums

Technology

Help please, my printer is driving me crazy!

(12 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Fri 01-Sep-17 15:08:35

I have a HP printer Envy 4520 series with number HPF6FEB.

It has suddenly refused to print, and in the printer menu it is shown as offline.

I cannot find any directions either on the internet or in the manual for correcting the problem.

I suspect it either has something to do with the fact that I am still using Windows 7. My laptop is an old one, so I am reluctant to change to a newer version of Windows.

Could it also have something to do with the fact that we tried originally to install it as a wireless connection so that both of us could print from our own pc?

Anyone know how to sort the problem? Should I un-install it and re-install it, or try to find a flex to connect it to my laptop?

Thank you anyone and everyone who will try to advise me.

Oriel Fri 01-Sep-17 15:14:03

Hi, I had the same printer as you.

I would turn everything off and leave it off at the mains (printer and pc) for at least 20 seconds. Then try again. Mine used to get confused at times and this sorted it out. If it has been OK with Windows 7 I would have thought it should still be OK. It should be fine wirelessly - that's how we always used it.

Good luck!

Charleygirl Fri 01-Sep-17 15:17:57

I have also had problems with mine. I also switch everything off and to date it has worked okay when I switched it on again. I think that wireless is a step too far for mine. I have Windows 8.

M0nica Fri 01-Sep-17 17:00:26

My answer to all computer related problems (including peripherals) is to turn it off and then on again. If necessary leave it off overnight.

It is surprising how well such equipment responds to being made to sit on the naughty step and consider its behaviour.

shysal Fri 01-Sep-17 17:28:39

My HP C4380 all-in-one stopped working with wireless connection. I therefore got a long connection lead and have to plug it in to the USB port every time, which is a nuisance but it works. I think I had to use the CD to set it up again. What is strange is that it works wirelessly with my tablet although not always, so the problem may be with my Window 8 laptop.
I hope you manage to solve the problem.

RAF Fri 01-Sep-17 17:37:25

If rebooting doesn't help, you could try deleting the driver (go into Programs and look for the make of your printer) then downloading the correct driver from the HP website.

Look at support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-4520-all-in-one-printer-series/5447920/model/5447921/drivers ?

Serkeen Fri 01-Sep-17 18:11:45

Hi, when I have this sort of problem I refer to You Tube

You will probably find an instructional video on how to fix this problem

Tizliz Fri 01-Sep-17 18:19:13

You beat me to it RAF. Sometimes the settings seem to slip.

I had a problem the other week when the laptop at work decided to print to a different printer - which wasn't switched on - took me ages to see the problem.

Marydoll Fri 01-Sep-17 20:27:45

We had the same problem with HP all the time.
Have you gone into settings and checked that there isn't a print queue? If there is delete, everything in the queue before you do anything else.

Uninstalling printer, rebooting PC/ laptop , then re-installing printer, usually worked for us. The wireless function, eventually refused to work, so I just got a usb cable and plugged into printer and usb port.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 02-Sep-17 15:46:26

Thanks for all your advice. Yes, usually turning it off and on again does work both with this printer and with every photocopy machine I have ever had the misfortune to meet, but this time it hasn't helped, so I shall start trying all the other tips.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 13-Sep-17 12:41:42

Just to let others with the same problems know the solution.

I still had the original installation CD-rom, inserted it and it connected to the internet. Downloaded the newest installation program and at the THIRD attempt got the printer to work.

Obviously, the blessed thing isn't HP's most successful printer ever, but it can be got to work, if one is persistent enough

Marydoll Fri 15-Sep-17 08:42:32

If you don't have the original installation CD, do a Google search for HP latest printer drivers. Just type in the name of your printer and follow the instructions. I do this for both my husband's HP and my Kodak printer, which is always giving me problems.
Ever since we upgraded to Windows 10, we have had nothing but hassle.