Gransnet forums

Technology

Has anyone had a message from Microsoft?

(11 Posts)
nonnasusie Wed 13-Sep-17 15:44:20

I've had the tax one about 3 times! Apparently they owe me more than I pay?. I've just got to give them my credit or debit card number to receive the payment ??

Humbertbear Wed 13-Sep-17 14:58:27

I had a phone call recently from 'Microsoft' very kindly telling me they'd noticed a problem with my computer. Why would anyone believe they had the resource to call everyone with a computer problem?

MissAdventure Wed 13-Sep-17 13:27:47

I had a phone call recently from "William" who was from the "computer licensing department" to tell me that spam emails are being sent around the world, from my email address. This has got so bad that people are complaining about me, and demanding that I be arrested.
All I needed to do was switch on my computer, and "William" would save me from a lot of serious trouble.

Welshwife Wed 13-Sep-17 13:05:08

I had an email from Nat West this morning telling me they are changing Internet banking to be two step - and to click on a link. I do not do Internet banking with Nat West so deleted the mail. The bank I do use for Internet banking always send any messages to my account so that when I log on I see them.

petra Wed 13-Sep-17 12:59:28

Well I think mine is the best grin
I have an email signed by no less than Christine Lagarde.
She addresses me personally and tells me that she, personally is investigating money laundering in, you'll never guess, Nigeria!!!
It appears my name and bank details have come up in their investigations, and would I please confirm my bank details.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 13-Sep-17 12:38:31

Yes, I got it too, and was suspicious as it was rather more forthright, not to say rude than Microsoft. It was a scam, as Microsoft fell over themselves to confirm

Iam64 Tue 05-Sep-17 20:11:18

Good for you and Mr P phoenix. I've had a number of odd emails recently, one allegedly from HRMC asking me to click on the attachment which would set out my £350 refund. Hah.

phoenix Tue 05-Sep-17 20:02:47

Spoken to Mr P (who is working away) and he says it's definitely spam scam! He got one too, and checked out the address it came from and it was not a genuine Microsoft address!

I have deleted without clicking on the link.

Tizliz Tue 05-Sep-17 18:21:30

This is normal. Just go to your account and delete the spam which has built up.

dustyangel Tue 05-Sep-17 18:19:41

I have NOT Phoenix and I have a Hotmail email address.

phoenix Tue 05-Sep-17 18:07:56

Evening all,

I use Outlook for my mail, with a Hotmail email address.

There is an email (supposedly) from Microsoft saying that my mailbox has exceeded it's allowed size (or something like that) and asking me to click on a link to correct it.

I haven't clicked, just in case, but thought I would ask if anyone else has had this?