Gransnet forums

Technology

Alexa - Echo Dot - interesting things it can do for you.

(12 Posts)
Grannyknot Sun 29-Oct-17 21:12:26

grin

Primrose65 Sun 29-Oct-17 21:07:06

grannyknot A woodchuck would chuck around 700lbs of wood a day with the wind at his back.
Now we know!

Grannyknot Sun 29-Oct-17 18:16:48

I was visiting a friend who has one. He asked her/it "How much wood would a would chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?" And it answered! Can't remember the answer now. I really didn't expect that!

hildajenniJ Sun 29-Oct-17 18:06:27

Tottielimejuice, ask Alexa to enable fanfare. When it's enabled, just say "Alexa, ask the horn section to play me a fanfare. It's a bit of fun, and you usually get a different fanfare each to time.

HildaW Sun 29-Oct-17 15:07:30

Just a word of warning....DD and her family bought one last year as a family Christmas present.....first thing the 8 year old did was ask if there was such a thing as Father Christmas!

Tottylimejuice Sun 29-Oct-17 13:56:13

Hilda......I want a Fanfare...I’ve tried, what do you actually say to Alexa?

hildajenniJ Sun 29-Oct-17 12:55:33

I've asked Alexa to play me songs from the 60's. What a lovely trip down memory lane! I installed radio player so that I can listen to stations that tune-in can't play.
I have: 20 Questions
The Magic Door ( interactive storytelling for the DGC)
Ditty (also for the DGC)
When I'm feeling a bit bleugh I can ask the horn section to play me a fanfare, always guaranteed to cheer me up.
I also like the flash briefing in the morning, and also the daily fact. Say "Alexa,good morning" and she gives you a fact for the day.
I'm waiting for allrecipes to become available in the UK. I have Jamie Oliver's recipes, but don't use them very often.

Charleygirl Sun 29-Oct-17 11:15:12

I find it very useful as a timer and I am frequently asking for weather updates.

I agree, sometimes it tells me that it cannot play music but it is the way I have worded the command. I am slowly learning.

Primrose65 Sun 29-Oct-17 11:06:18

I love the Ocado and Uber skills.
Planning on upgrading to the echo plus for the living room as I've got some hue lights. I'm slightly worried that I enjoy bossing my home around! grin

NanKate Sun 29-Oct-17 10:59:12

Alexa put on Tennis Radio on Tune In
Alexa what is the weather today ?
Alexa put on meditation music. (I did this yesterday afternoon and I dozed nicely to the music)
Alexa put on a 10 minute timer
Alexa play music from the 1960s.

Sometimes I have to make the same request in a slightly different order if it doesn't recognise a song I know is available.

I will try and think of a few more.

Anniebach Sun 29-Oct-17 10:12:38

Wish I knew what they are

Tottylimejuice Sun 29-Oct-17 09:46:01

We like ours, but we are still finding interesting things it does, so I wonder if it would be worthwhile listing any you find so we can share the knowledge, for example:
“Alexa!, Play Train My Brain” (it should be noted that her pronunciation leaves a lot to be desired and she often says you are wrong when you are right).
“Alexa!, Whats Up” plays a snippet of the news headlines and local weather.
“Tell me a joke”
“Tell me a kids joke”
I for one would love to have some more tips and uses from you all, perhaps we can share our know how of this little piece of equipment, thanks.