Gransnet forums

Technology

New Firefox !

(20 Posts)
AlieOxon Wed 22-Nov-17 14:03:54

I do not want all the little pictures on the search page to tell me where I've been!

The 'customise your tabs' thing doesn't work.

Just ONCE I've been able to 'dismiss' one of them.
Now I can't get that menu again.

Surely there is a way to get rid of them? I want the old search page back!

Charleygirl Wed 22-Nov-17 14:13:18

I could not agree more- some of the stuff I have been looking at is private and personal not for anybody who may have access to my computer.

AlieOxon Wed 22-Nov-17 14:17:44

That too.
Other people must feel the same. I'll search the web later!

Elegran Wed 22-Nov-17 14:48:12

Mine doesn't do that, but I have my Home Page set to Google and I do my searching from there. It kept that when it updated. However it occasionally seems to have the other search page. I haven't worked out what triggers that.

AlieOxon Wed 22-Nov-17 15:41:20

I've been searching, but finding lots of other problems but not that one.
The 'Getting Started' menu does offer a Contact option....

Nelliemoser Wed 22-Nov-17 16:06:22

It is an absolute B****Y mess. I can't get full function on the gardening site I use. There are stupid pages jumping about the screen.
It is very unstable I am P****d off with Firefox.
It was working quite well before they tried to "improve" it .

Charleygirl Wed 22-Nov-17 16:41:30

I used to be able to get news, finance, weather and tennis so easily, now it is such a faff- why could they not leave it alone?

AlieOxon Wed 22-Nov-17 18:13:52

Mine seems to work ok, I just can't get rid of the picture links!

AlieOxon Wed 22-Nov-17 18:15:00

I never consented to update.

Nelliemoser Wed 22-Nov-17 23:49:26

I have just decided to try Microsoft Edge as my browser recommended by OH. Firefox is just a disaster .
I kept finding bits of other sites that do not work properly.
I am going to have to see what use I can make of that. Messenger was messed up as well.

Ailsa43 Wed 22-Nov-17 23:51:45

Mine is the same as alieoxon, and also all my fonts are messed up.

I cannot believe I have all my browsing history right there on the home page, it's appalling!!

notnecessarilywiser Thu 23-Nov-17 09:21:51

I couldn't agree more about the icons when you open a new tab. A more minor irritation is the semi-transparent appearance at the top of the screen; my techie friend tells me it's supposed to be cool, but I disagree. Thankfully no issue with fonts, though. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if someone comes along with a fix for the new tab icons!

AlieOxon Thu 23-Nov-17 09:40:46

Infuriating that there IS a menu to remove them, and I found it once, now it's gone........

AlieOxon Sat 25-Nov-17 09:19:33

I've solved it. - My main problem anyway!
On the menu (small wheel on the top right) there are four options not two, just scroll down. Duh.

But still no way to take out one item from the group.
And why did they take out the fox?

Charleygirl Sat 25-Nov-17 14:06:37

Thanks Alie I no longer have to view the search page.

Luckygirl Sat 25-Nov-17 14:11:18

It is indeed irritating! I find the bookmarking system annoying. Why oh why do they change these things when they are working just fine?

AlieOxon Tue 28-Nov-17 12:53:53

The most annoying thing I am still finding is - I can't get back to a site I've just visited!

Luckygirl Tue 28-Nov-17 13:20:39

And the useful turning blue circle that told you it was busy has been replaced by minute blue dots that are barely visible - sigh.

Nelliemoser Thu 30-Nov-17 16:54:10

Elegran Wed 22-Nov-17 14:48:12
Hi Elegran. you seem to have found yours updated relatively well.
Do you mind it I ask you a few questions?
Were you using the previous version of Firefox?

Did you have any other search engines and browsers working? Did your FF 57 just install easily?

I now seem to have Google chrome, Microsoft Edge and Firefox. vying for position on here.
I was wandering if these other such programs were getting in the way.
I have tried a full take down and re-install of firefox but its no better. Any thoughts welcome.
Short of chucking my computer out of the window.

Elegran Thu 30-Nov-17 17:51:59

Nellie At the moment I am the last person to give you advice. I have spent all b****y day completely cut off from my computer, let alone the internet. My PC won't even boot up. I am typing this on a tiny laptop with a screen I can barely read, on which most of my passwords are out of date. My laptop will download email messages, so I have asked to reset some passwords, but the sites won't then accept the resets (except Gransnet hooray!). I am tearing my hair out here.