Gransnet forums

Technology

Alexa problems

(10 Posts)
kittylester Wed 29-Nov-17 11:37:24

Having bought an Alexa on Black Friday and got really excited about playing with it, it won't connect to the internet and also disconnects my phone while it's trying.

We've looked through the help bit and tried disconnecting the Firewall while we connect it, we've tried taking it back to factory settings and reinstalling the app.

Anyone had similar problems? Or can anyone offer any solutions please?

Anyone got any ideas what we should do?

Primrose65 Wed 29-Nov-17 12:46:54

I had no problems at all connecting mine. Different wifi setups mean it's difficult to offer advice. Do you use MAC addresses for your other devices? Perhaps you're using both WPA and WPA2 for security? Is it near something else which might interrupt the signal? Sorry I can't be more help.

Charleygirl Wed 29-Nov-17 14:53:13

I am like Primrose I also cannot help. I was advised not to put mine near my TV and it works fine.

hildajenniJ Wed 29-Nov-17 15:33:46

Sorry kitty, I can't help. I have an Echo Dot. It's in my kitchen. I connected it to a Bluetooth speaker and it works beautifully. I have given Alexa lots of "skills" and am having lots of fun, particularly when I'm by myself.grin

kittylester Wed 29-Nov-17 16:09:51

I want to have lots of fun too. sad

I might try moving it a bit further away from the TV. I wish I could find a phone number and talk to a person.

CassieJ Wed 29-Nov-17 16:57:19

Don't know if these will help.
I have just bought an Alexa Dot for my son for Christmas and these are part of the instructions for it.
I am not setting his up yet, so can't help with that.
I can't find a phone number, but it does say there is 24 hour help available.

www.amazon.co.uk/echodotsupport?tag=gransnetforum-21

[email protected]

Cherrytree59 Wed 29-Nov-17 17:05:06

We had trouble connecting Alexa to our BT WI-FI
I gave BT a call, they ran some checks and voilà
we were able to connect with out any problem.

So it would seem the issue as far as we were concerned was with the internet provider and not Alexa.

kittylester Wed 29-Nov-17 17:09:51

Oh, we are with BT! Had you had problems previously?

Thanks cassie

Cherrytree59 Wed 29-Nov-17 17:38:44

The number I called with a question regarding Alexa was 0800 279 7234.

Cherrytree59 Wed 29-Nov-17 17:40:43

Hi no previous problems.
BT were very helpful