Gransnet forums

Technology

Just to warn others

(15 Posts)
Marieeliz Wed 21-Feb-18 16:41:35

This afternoon I received a phone call, female with foreign accent, saying she was ringing from BT. Did I know someone was trying to access my computer. Said I was not with BT she said your Landline is with BT. I just dragged out the conversation for a while and eventually she but the phone down her end.

Willow500 Wed 21-Feb-18 16:45:03

Had this call several times - as they ring on the line that doesn't have the broadband on it (we have a business line as well as the home one) it's obviously a scam. A friend did fall for it a few months ago and ended up with them accessing her pc - couldn't believe she'd actually fallen for it!

M0nica Wed 21-Feb-18 17:31:55

I am waiting for one of these scammers to ring me and when she asks me if I know someone was trying to access my computer. I will reply 'Yes' and see how the discussion progresses from their. I could explain that my son is a computer hacker and always tests his hacking software by accessing my computer.

I could really have some fungrin

MissAdventure Wed 21-Feb-18 17:38:47

I watched a video of a lady asking the caller to just answer some security questions before she could speak to them
"Lovely, thanks, now before I can proceed, could you give me the first, third and fifth letter of your password please?"
Then, when the caller started getting impatient:
"Ok well, that's fine, could you just tell me your mothers' surname please, for security purposes?" grin

Daddima Wed 21-Feb-18 17:47:44

I have had lots of sport with ‘ Microsoft Support’, ‘ Windows Security’ etc .
I have various personas; the dotty old lady ( not so far from the truth!) .The lady who has had aliens entering her house via her computer, the lady curious as to why an obviously’ exotic’ young man should pretend his name is Steve, when it is actually Sanjay, and many more.
29 minutes is my personal best.

( I know, I need to get a life!)

M0nica Wed 21-Feb-18 17:49:26

For a short phone call, just say that you or DH is a manager with Microsoft and you know about this scam.

BlueBelle Wed 21-Feb-18 17:55:06

I have great fun with them too especially when they start asking me to do things with my computer are you near your computer oh yes is it open yes can you see the button marked oh yes I m probable washing up My grandkids thought it hilarious when they heard me one day and my granddaughter a few days later was ringing me pretending to be one of these guys I went along with it knowing it was her disguised voice until she started giggling

Daddima Wed 21-Feb-18 18:01:20

Another one I heard, but have never tried, is to ask, “ May I ask how you knew the deceased?”, and say you are heading a murder enquiry.

ninathenana Wed 21-Feb-18 18:11:49

That's a brilliant one Daddima gringrin I'm going to use that.

I usually go for the dotty old girl who dosen't know how to turn on the PC

Nelliemoser Wed 21-Feb-18 18:21:08

What puzzles me is just how so many people do not seem to know these scams exist and fall for them.

Is it peoples age? or just someone who is very gullible. There are quite a lot of warnings and information about these things. Do some people just ignore them?

To conclude here are the ‘Take Five’ steps to avoiding fraud:
(1) Never disclose security details.
(2) Don’t assume that an email, text or phone call is genuine.
(3) Don’t be rushed.
(4) Listen to your instincts.
(5) Stay in control.

Posted 7 months ago on Monday, July 31st, 2017

kindus.co.uk/computer-based-fraud/

MissAdventure Wed 21-Feb-18 18:31:07

Lots of people aren't online at all, which is where most of us (well, me) learn info about these kind of things.

Shirleyw Sat 03-Mar-18 04:57:16

Also not just the elderly, lots of people with a learning disability live independently , I'm afraid they get scammed as well....

PamelaJ1 Sat 03-Mar-18 08:16:03

And Nellie don’t click on a link in an email unless you are absolutely certain of the source. E.g. you have just asked to change your password because you have forgotten it again!

pollyperkins Sat 03-Mar-18 08:25:25

I have a friend who,when they say'how are you today' starts telling them in detail about some fictitious illness and how he hasnt got long to live. They usually back off quite quickly.

Charleygirl Sat 03-Mar-18 09:17:46

I go down the dotty route also saying I would love to buy a computer but I have no idea how the thing works- I would need a lot of help. That usually gets rid of them.