Gransnet forums

Technology

Keyboard cleaning.

(6 Posts)
NewgranGill Wed 11-Apr-18 11:43:09

Help if possible please. I have spilt a few drops of syrupy medicine onto the keyboard of DS Mac laptop. (Not altogether my fault but feel it is). I wiped it off with tissue and then wiped the keyboard with. a wetwipe. All seemed to be well at first but now the keys are sticking ever so slightly - around the edges I think, and one has come off.

Any ideas on how to clean it properly, I know not to get the keyboard wet but I think it needs something damp to get the sticky stuff off. I have offered to take it to the Apple Store but DS says it could cost me hundred of pounds for them to put it right. When I worked we used wipes for the computer keyboards but I'm very wary with a laptop.

Please help!!

Marydoll Wed 11-Apr-18 12:17:46

There are lots of You Tube videos with suggestions. Have you looked there already?

Welshwife Wed 11-Apr-18 13:13:49

I had a look on the Apple website and you can get a new keyboard for about $60 - if you have a store within distance maybe it is worth calling in there or even calling their help line - they will usually ring you back.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 11-Apr-18 14:42:42

I would simply go on with the wet wipes until the keys don't stick any more. Best of luck!

NewgranGill Wed 11-Apr-18 15:19:58

Marydoll, thanks I had a look at youtube and they had someone actually removing a key so I'm hopeful. Question is where do I by ethanol?

Welshwife,I can't replace th keyboard as it is a laptop, also it has been set up for his various disabilities so that's a no go.

Marydoll Wed 11-Apr-18 15:38:17

High, NewgranGill, I had a look. Amazon, as well online pharmacies have it. Not too expensive. As long as you know what type to buy.
Good luck!