Gransnet forums

Technology

Web searches shared across IP address?

(6 Posts)
Bathsheba Sun 20-May-18 17:09:42

Willow that would have infuriated me angry. And anyway, what on earth is the point of an online ordering system if they then employ people to phone customers as they're ordering? To be honest, I think I would have cancelled the order and gone elsewhere, if possible.

Bathsheba Sun 20-May-18 17:06:46

Thanks NanaMacGeek. I've read the article and it does seem as though this something that is gradually creeping in. I don't like it, though; it does feel as though it's a security breach if it tracks all devices using the same wi-fi, because there can be several people in one household. Surely each person should have a right to privacy with their web searches?
I went to the 'adchoices' link in the article and opted out of all companies listed but it's a drop in the ocean as there are only 137 of them participating.

NanaMacGeek Sun 20-May-18 16:48:58

Have a look at this link, it explains what is going on:-
www.technologyreview.com/s/538731/how-ads-follow-you-from-phone-to-desktop-to-tablet/

Willow500 Sun 20-May-18 16:05:35

Yes - I think somehow IP addresses are being tracked - there are too many coincidences of ads coming up between us for something that's been researched. My husband says he only has to look for something online at work and half an hour later the phone rings with someone from a particular company saying we see you've been looking at xxxx on our website.

The other day I was trying to place an order with an online shopping channel I use quite regularly - before I could get to the end of the order the phone rang twice with someone from their order line asking if I needed help?!! I was quite short the second time and told them if you'd get off the phone I could complete the b*** order!

Besstwishes Sun 20-May-18 15:44:10

My husband has a Company computer at home, I have an iPad and a PC, if he looks at sofas, all the computers get ads for sofas, I assumed it was because we all share the same WiFi modem, as it’s been happening for years now.

I think that’s why you get ‘Private Browsers’ - so nothing shows up on the other devices in the house.

Bathsheba Sun 20-May-18 13:12:01

Yesterday we visited Dunelms to buy some curtains but despite their website saying they were in stock at our local branch, they weren't. So we went back home and I ordered them online. Now this is where it gets a bit disturbing. I placed the order on my iMac, using my email address and paying with my Paypal account. This morning my husband opened up his laptop, signed into his Google account, and up popped an ad for the very same curtains that I'd ordered. This has never happened before - my web searches have always prompted ads on my computer and my DH's on his.
Is our IP address used for tracking web searches, not our personal devices? If so that is surely a breach of confidentiality. Supposing I was searching for something I didn't want him to know about? A birthday gift, a surprise holiday, for example?
Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?