Gransnet forums

Technology

New Iphone

(29 Posts)
NanKate Tue 19-Jun-18 09:26:39

DH has got a new modern IPhone which he is thrilled with. I have been teaching how to use it.

When he writes texts he was pleased to find out a double tap on the space bar gives a full stop.

Do any of you techy people have some other crafty tips please ?

FountainPen Fri 25-Jan-19 09:54:02

If you like to listen to audio content on your phone in bed at night but find you doze off without switching off, you can use the timer.

To do this, tap on Clock > Timer > When Timer Ends. Scroll down and tap Stop Playing. Then, set a timer (say 30 mins) and tap Start.

Now you can play your content and it will be turned off after 30 mins.

Works with live radio, your music library, audio books and podcasts.

arsalveli05 Fri 25-Jan-19 08:12:35

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Auntieflo Mon 21-Jan-19 18:50:17

Ooh Rockgran. it works on my IPad too, much to DH’s disgust, as I’ve just snapped him. ?

rockgran Mon 21-Jan-19 17:12:39

You are welcome!grin

Missfoodlove Mon 21-Jan-19 14:07:40

Press the button to the left of the space bar and narrate your texts or emails. Just say full stop, cook, new line etc, it will automatically do it. No more typing!
Also if typing keep your finger on the space bar to move the cursor to the desired position.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 21-Jan-19 13:37:27

rockgran none of us here at GNHQ knew that either and we are all clicking away and getting very excited about it - thank you! Much easier than the button

Lisagran Mon 21-Jan-19 11:39:51

Ooh rockgran thanks for that tip! Much easier!

rockgran Mon 21-Jan-19 11:31:53

When taking photos on my (admittedly elderly) iPhone I use either of the volume up down buttons on the side as a click button - just like an old camera. This is much easier than trying to hit that circle (which usually results in a long series of photos when my husband uses it.) This also works on an iPad.

arsalveli05 Mon 21-Jan-19 11:11:27

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Sample Tue 08-Jan-19 16:49:22

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Bathsheba Fri 19-Oct-18 17:38:55

Thanks for that tip Lovetopaint, I didn't know about that!
I've now activated it and it's so useful.

Freakyintel Fri 19-Oct-18 13:41:37

I really dont suggest buying the newer iphones
They are a waste of money.
And they cause so much pain and hassle to use.

jeanie99 Tue 16-Oct-18 09:03:18

I bought a case and a screen protector for my phone and when I tap quite often there is no response could it be the screen protector.
It drives me bad.
You all seem to know such a lot about the short cuts, I struggle at times. Must download the instructions as someone suggested.
Could you tell me how I Facetime a friend who I have not contacted before?

Lovetopaint037 Wed 03-Oct-18 09:59:52

I use screen shots a lot to record all sorts of things including photos I have cropped by”stretching” them out. I used to do this by tapping the home button and the on/off button togetherwhich can be fiddly. However, I now use assistive touch which gives you a home button on the screen which can be moved around. Once you touch it up comes different options and one is device. Touch that and you get other options but at the bottom is the icon for yet more options and screen shot is there. It sounds laborious but so quick and so simple. No messing about with on/off button. Also should your home button stop working this can be used.

Bathsheba Fri 28-Sep-18 12:37:06

Swipe up on the lock screen to access short cuts to camera, torch, and several other features.

Press home key three times in quick succession to get a magnifying screen - I have found this enormously useful!

However, downward swipe doesn't switch from alpha to numeric for me, nor does swiping up from the ! to get an apostrophe. Are these features only on the iPhone X? I have the 7.

Teacheranne Fri 28-Sep-18 12:21:41

I find it helpful to google for iPhone tips or cheats and look at the YouTube videos that come up. It is easy to learn the short cuts when following a video - especially if you google using your iPad and then copy the instructions on your phone!

You can access your camera very quickly without putting in your pass key by swiping upwards as soon as you switch on your phone ie before you log in. I found that very useful the other day when a car hit my wing mirror in a car park and would have driven off before I had noted the registration number. I was able to take a photo in a split second, as soon as he saw me, he stopped, admitted his error so we were able to exchange details. He them paid for the repair.

creditcardlogin Fri 28-Sep-18 11:47:07

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BlueBelle Mon 25-Jun-18 08:29:25

Well blow me down I didn’t know about the ' either or the left arrow HA HA thanks now it’s just dan I remember them all

BlueBelle Mon 25-Jun-18 08:26:23

Nanaandgrampy thanks for that tip just tried it on my iPad and yeah it works I never knew that 123 4567890 yeah ???

kindrick Sun 24-Jun-18 23:23:38

I have always felt stupid not to know much about the operation of my smartphone, it's a little reassuring to know that I'm not the only one.

mcem Thu 21-Jun-18 09:08:01

jeanie I have found that a guide is usually available online. Just Google your phone details. Worth a try!

NanKate Thu 21-Jun-18 08:54:14

I agree Jeanie

DH taught me how to use the camera a couple of days later I was driving down the High Street when a man opened his car door and knocked off my side mirror. He was ranting and raving at me so I calmly walked round his car taking photos to prove I am not damaged his car at all. Minutes later a van backed into him so I took photos of the van and the damage so that I could prove I did not do it and I photographed the registration of the van. DH was impressed but I was rather shaky !

jeanie99 Thu 21-Jun-18 08:43:11

I've just bought an I Phone this week so still asking questions of my family.

Why don't the phones come with a guide? it would make life so much simpler for people like me.

NanKate Tue 19-Jun-18 20:06:12

Thanks however the swiping does not work for me either but it does on my old iPad heyho.

I am sure you all know the upward arrow on the left with the line under it gives all capitals.

Coolgran65 Tue 19-Jun-18 11:42:18

Oh dear, don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have an iphone 6 and touching/sliding upwards doesn't give me any as mentioned above.
If I do an upward swipe on "b" I get an "h" which is the letter above it. This happens with all the upward swipes, i.e. get the letter above. No numbers appear.

I do see that some of the letters on the top line will give you accents if you hold the letter. eg the e and the u, some others but not all.