Gransnet forums

Technology

A new contacts name is now attached to my yahoo emails.

(10 Posts)
Lovetopaint037 Sun 30-Sep-18 17:05:56

This is my update. My grandson came around this morning. He is 25 so not a school boy. He pronounced it as “weird” but tried a few things and we went into my account where both names, account and user were correct. The iPad seemed the culprit so he tapped the incorrect name in the email and an edit board came up. He tapped edit and deleted/typed over the offending name and replaced it with mine. It was solved. He said it was just possible that this person who works for the company might have hit cc which would send it to other people and got attached to my name as she emailed me. Who knows? Anyway, thank you all for your kind help. There are many solutions to a problem like this but I do hope this helps someone else. Thank you again.

Lovetopaint037 Sat 29-Sep-18 09:53:19

It’s definately not a scam. In fact I have all the contact details of this person. I changed my password and my details are all correct as far as I can see. I have tried sending emails to another account I have and always this name comes up so anyone receiving one from me from my yahoo account will see this name. It appears that my user name is now mixed up with this contacts name. I will investigate this further today and will answer properly but a flu jab is awaiting me at my surgery so meanwhile thank you so much. Post properly later.

NanaMacGeek Fri 28-Sep-18 16:36:27

Hi Bathsheba, that's what I was trying to establish. Over the years, I've found that I often overlook something really simple by not checking the facts. If what you suggest is the case then 'Fred' has set up an email account using ilovetopaint037's name as the personal name for Fred's account. Yahoo wouldn't (or should not) allow 2 email accounts with the same username and ilovetopaint has changed passwords and can still access the account so I don't think it's a scam, although I could be wrong.

Apologies to all Freds out there by the way.

Bathsheba Fri 28-Sep-18 15:40:49

that Lovetopaint, not the

Bathsheba Fri 28-Sep-18 15:40:21

NanaMacGeek I have a feeling the Lovetopaint means when she receives an email it's addressed to 'Fred' instead of her.

NanaMacGeek Fri 28-Sep-18 15:23:03

Lovetopaint037, can I check a couple of things with you? You say this other name (let's say 'Fred') is shown in the ’To’ field, what is in the 'From' field (it should be something like [email protected])? Is Fred's email address there instead? Have you made a mistake when you say your name should be in the 'To' field. Unless you are sending an email to yourself, your name would never be in the ‘To’ field in an email header that you are writing unless you mean to mail yourself.

Do you have more than one email account with different names/providers?

What happens when you delete Fred's name in the 'To' field and start typing the name of another contact. Does the email application fill in the name of the other contact? Have you tried sending an email to yourself (To [email protected], give it the title 'test1' and send it from [email protected])? What happens?

If you have lots of email contacts stella1949's sugestion would be a last resort, I would try to work out what is wrong first.

I hope you are not offended by these questions, but it is difficult to help someone you know very little about and you have asked for help.

stella1949 Fri 28-Sep-18 14:01:23

Sounds as if you've been hacked. I'd simply cancel that account all together and open a new one, then tell your contacts the new address.

NanaMacGeek Fri 28-Sep-18 13:58:24

You need to check your account details on your email server. Log on to your email provider online. Then look for your account details and find your personal information (it may be called 'about me' or something similar). Somewhere in that section you should see 'Name' or 'What you want others to see when you send an email'. Check that your name/nickname is there and it hasn't been amended.

When you receive an email from someone, instead of seeing their email address, you usually see their name or something that identifies them to you. It is this field that seems to have been changed somehow and it is this field (Name) you fill in when you first set up an email account. You are right to have changed your password.

If everything looks OK in your personal details then I would delete your email account on the device you are using to send and receive emails and re-add it. Let us know how you get on.

Bathsheba Fri 28-Sep-18 09:58:37

Well it certainly sounds like a scam to me. I have no explanation, nor can I offer any solution. I would contact the email service provider to try to clear this up, because something is definitely wrong here.

Lovetopaint037 Fri 28-Sep-18 09:36:20

Recently had a telephone conversation with someone who confirmed conversation with an email. It is not a scam. Ever since this name is shown in the “to” field instead of mine. Then when I send mail it states it is from this other person. I have deleted contacts email on contact list. I checked my account and changed my password although couldn’t see anything wrong. All my correct details were there. Oh! Please help if you can. I have tried the net but haven’t found a solution yet. Thank you for reading my problem.