Gransnet forums

Technology

iPhone 7 battery draining quickly

(16 Posts)
jhamond987 Tue 02-Oct-18 15:30:05

Hi,

Can somebody please tell me why my battery is draining so quickly? I have to charge at least twice a day and this is in a space where it's not even the end of the day yet.

Thanks!

lemongrove Tue 02-Oct-18 15:33:12

Sounds as if it needs a new battery.The iPhone and iPad is prone to this fault.
Sometimes people charge the battery when it doesn’t need it, so once you have a new battery ( if this is the case ) only charge it when down to about 2%.

tanith Tue 02-Oct-18 15:34:10

You probably have lots of apps running in the background, I don’t have an iPhone hopefully someone who knows the phone can tell you how to check unless you’ve already done that.

BlueBelle Tue 02-Oct-18 15:37:31

You may have something on in the background, mobile roaming ( is that what it’s called) or Bluetooth I can’t remember what it was but mine started draining my granddaughter told me what to turn off and it’s fine Google it I always find that solved my problem if my granddaughter s not around

Nonnie Tue 02-Oct-18 15:57:28

Bluetooth drains the battery very quickly. About a year ago Apple confirmed that iphones of 2 years old or more were designed to start slowing down.

I read that it is not necessary to let your mobile phone battery run down before charging it, I don't and mine last for ages.

I have an android, what is so special about iphones please? Is it a status thing?

kindrick Fri 02-Nov-18 00:06:57

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Willow500 Fri 02-Nov-18 07:27:19

I don't have an iPhone but my Samsung drains the battery very quickly if I don't close everything at the end of the day. I don't know if it works on the phone but on the iPad if you tap the home button twice it opens all the apps you have open and you can flick them up to close them down. If it doesn't work I'd take it into and Apple store and ask them to have a look at it. Bluetooth does drain the battery so turn it off if you don't need it.

PamelaJ1 Fri 02-Nov-18 08:31:32

Nonnie, I was forced into having a smart phone when o2 stopped the app that allowed me to use my very old Nokia at home. We have a very bad signal here.
I got an iPhone because I have an iPad and an iMac. They ‘talk to each other’. Not a status thing at all.
The Nokia did everything I needed and I hardly use the iPads options. It does mean that taking photos and sharing them easier.

NanaMacGeek Fri 02-Nov-18 19:02:41

If you have a poor mobile phone signal, your phone's battery will drain quickly because the phone is constantly looking for a stronger signal. It could be your worst offender. If this is the case and you have a good WiFi signal in your house, you'd be better off using voice over WiFi at home.

As others suggest, having lots of running apps in the background does not help so close them all when you are not actively using them.

Keep Bluetooth turned off unless you need it and turn on WiFi only when you trust it (in your home or at a friends' or relatives' house). Moving around with these switched on causes the phone to scan for networks, it's also a security risk. (They can also scan when switched off - hidden in 'Advanced' settings.)

Using mobile data can also drain a battery quickly, (downloading videos) especially in an area where there is a poor signal.

Location services also use battery power and you can reduce the frequency that your email client downloads your mails.

www.cultofmac.com/238746/fetch-or-push-set-your-email-accounts-to-maximize-battery-life-speed-of-delivery-ios-tips/

Some apps, can also drain the battery, especially if they require intensive use of the graphics card. You can identify any power hungry apps:-

www.howtogeek.com/197074/how-to-see-which-apps-are-draining-your-battery-on-an-iphone-or-ipad/

I turn off as much as I can (on my Android phone), then turn on what I need as required. I do this to save my battery and to keep my phone more secure too.

It doesn't take long to toggle WiFi, location settings, Bluetooth and mobile data on and off.

arsalveli05 Thu 17-Jan-19 05:21:33

Yeah, the same battery draining issue happened to me and I believe it was after iOS software update. It's after that my iPhone 6s start draining so quickly that I had to charge thrice in a day. I did one thing. I sold it at an online mobile selling platform. There are a lot of platforms where you can sell your problematic/broken mobile phones such as sellthemobile, sell&buy etc.

Humbertbear Thu 17-Jan-19 08:22:25

When you close an app or programme it’s still running in the background. Double click the home button and close everything down. Also open Safari and click the two boxes symbol bottom right and close down all the web pages. If that doesn’t work make an appointment at your local Apple Store and they will test the battery.

BlueBelle Thu 17-Jan-19 08:28:43

Another tip which you may already know is not to charge your battery until it’s nearly gone I used to think I d better top it up before I go out etc but my daughter told me not to as the battery starts to think that that charge up mark is zero and start to run down from there I don’t think I ve explained that very technically, but basically say you top it up when it gets to 30% the battery will then get the idea that 30% is zero
My iPhone 5 which I ve had two years and was my granddaughters for about 2 years before and was a recondition secondhand one to start with is still going strong fingers crossed

it get

janeainsworth Thu 17-Jan-19 08:32:51

OP, Apple were replacing very slow iPhone batteries before the New Year at a reduced price.
www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/11/is-your-iphone-slow--act-now-for-a-cut-price-battery-replacement/amp/
I took mine in & got it replaced & the Apple person said they were extending thr time limit to January 15th. So it might be worth going in to your Apple shop and having a 10-minute argument with them along the lines of you have only just been made aware of this offer.
There’s also a thing somewhere in the phone that tells you how efficiently your battery is running, so you can tell whether the problem is because the battery is old or because you’re doing lots of roaming or have lots of apps running. I’ll see if I can find it.

janeainsworth Thu 17-Jan-19 08:39:48

Here you are. Go into settings, then battery.

janeainsworth Thu 17-Jan-19 08:41:29

Ah. The photos have appeared the wrong way round.
Start with the one in the right, then the one in the left, then the one in the middle hmm

Razzy Thu 17-Jan-19 10:00:53

Top tip for anyone new to iphones - close off the apps if not using and your battery will last longer. If you double click the home button quickly you’ll see your open apps. If you swipe up it closes them. The other thing to always do is when you get home to your wireless, go to settings-mobile data and ensure it is turned off. This saves power and saves your bill! You’ll need it to be switched on when out and about to get mobile internet as opposed to wi-fi.