Gransnet forums

Technology

Can’s find the mute button on sat nav

(15 Posts)
NanKate Sun 28-Oct-18 16:21:34

Hi folks anyone got a VW golf? We have just bought this car off my DH’s brother it is only 3 years old and high spec. For the life of me I can’t find the sat nav mute button. Anyone got any ideas? My BinL never used the sat nav !

Izabella Sun 28-Oct-18 16:45:22

Try the voice button on your steering wheel.

Marydoll Sun 28-Oct-18 16:47:34

NanKate, I've just Googled this and there are a number of fora about this. However, it didn't make sense, I don't have a VW. grin

Marydoll Sun 28-Oct-18 16:48:10

That's was one of the answers, Izabella!

NanKate Sun 28-Oct-18 17:00:13

Thanks Izabella I will try that. I have googled it too Mary and haven’t come up with a satisfactory answer. ?

PamelaJ1 Sun 28-Oct-18 17:06:12

Doesn’t YouTube have a handy video to watch?

JackyB Sun 28-Oct-18 18:24:17

We have a VW with a built in satnav. Do you have buttons at the side of the screen? There is one called settings. If you go into the menu when the satnav is on, you can change the volume. Otherwise just turn down the volume at exactly the moment the voice pipes up.

NanKate Sun 28-Oct-18 21:16:05

No there is no handy YouTube advice Pamela, but I did try.

Jacky yes I have found the volume control in settings thanks. If I switch off the volume knob when she is chatting won’t it reduce the volume on the radio when that comes back on? I will check out your theory tomorrow thanks.

Jalima1108 Sun 28-Oct-18 21:52:56

A mute button?
I didn't realise there could be one and will have a look tomorrow.
It would be better than shouting 'shut up you stupid woman!' when she sends us off on a wild goose chase.

NanKate Mon 29-Oct-18 07:01:50

Our previous car a Renault had a mute button which is excellent when you roughly know where your destination is and just want a quick glance at the map. Our new sat nav on the VW has all bells and whistles but no bl**dy mute as far as I can see. I’m not a happy bunny.

I bet you say worse than that Jalima?

morethan2 Mon 29-Oct-18 07:12:34

I have a love hate relationship with my husbands Toyota’s sat nav. It can either be absolutely fabulous and take us directly to a European destination or send us round in circles in our own town. So I’m not able to offer much help. Can you turn the volume right down? Sorry that’s probably not helpful either. Good luck though

JackyB Mon 29-Oct-18 07:27:31

If you turn the volume down whilst she is speaking, you are then controlling the satnav volume. Otherwise you are turning down the radio. But for permanent silence, either turn off the satnav or go to the basic settings. I can't tell you exactly what to look for because ours is in German but I'll try it when I'm out shopping. There is also the option of having the satnav on and just showing the map but with no instructions, as Nankate described. There is no mute button though, you have to turn the volume right down to zero.

JackyB Mon 29-Oct-18 16:30:32

Right, I've had a look. If you turn down the volume whilst the satnav is speaking this is shown with a blue volume bar. If it changes back to radio, the volume bar is red.

The bottom button on the right hand side is the setup for the satnav. The second item on this menu is the volume. You can adjust this here and save your preferred volume. If you have it very quiet or right down at zero, the radio will still go quiet when it gives instructions,, even though you can't hear them.

So if you don't need spoken instructions, you can either turn off the satnav completely or just press "map" at the bottom left of the screen. There is no mute, though.

NanKate Mon 29-Oct-18 17:20:17

Jacky you are a STAR. Just the info I want. On Thursday when I have my first driving session in the car I will have a copy of your advice which DH will read out to me whilst I press all the appropriate knobs (nothing rude intended !!)

Jalima1108 Mon 29-Oct-18 18:00:42

I bet you say worse than that Jalima
I do tend to shout those very words, but occasionally can be heard adding an expletive.