Gransnet forums

Technology

Pink spelling correction problem

(18 Posts)
NanKate Tue 30-Oct-18 21:38:04

When I have made a spelling error if I press the word a pink bubble comes up with the correct spelling which I would normally press and the correct spelling replaces the mistake. However recently the pink bubble comes up very fleetingly and does not give me enough time to tap it. I have tried switching off the IPad completely but the error is still there. Any ideas ?

Grandad1943 Tue 30-Oct-18 22:11:26

NanKate, you could try downloading another spell checker. Having used quite a number over a period of time I would recommend "Grammerly". The app is widely used on Google Android devices, but I would not know if it is available for Apple devices as I never use any Apple products.

I did read that Nueance who have produced a number of spelling checkers, text to speech apps and voice recognition software for Apple have now withdrawn support for their products on that platform. It could be that your current app is caught up in the situation between Nueance and Apple if it was developed by the former.

Hope the above helps.

NanKate Tue 30-Oct-18 22:13:22

Thanks for the advice GD1943

Charleygirl5 Tue 30-Oct-18 22:17:12

I use Grammerly but the spelling is American.

MawBroon Tue 30-Oct-18 22:29:56

NanKate that is my case too since the last update on my iPad. Frankly these “updates” are usually a step backwards.
I don’t know what to do about it either, except check and change manually.

MawBroon Tue 30-Oct-18 22:31:37

As nueance and grammerly both seem to be predicated on misspellings in the first place, I would be very dubious of either!

MawBroon Tue 30-Oct-18 22:38:23

Nuance and Grammarly? There has to be a certain irony.

cornergran Tue 30-Oct-18 23:38:59

Same here with the iPad. No idea how to undo it, a right nuisance .

NanaMacGeek Tue 30-Oct-18 23:41:56

Have you tried double tapping the misspelled word? Do you get the option to replace it?

A lot depends on your iPad keyboard settings (Settings -> General -> Keyboard). I have 'Auto correction' set to 'Off' but 'Check spelling' and 'Predictive' turned 'On'. I find the predictions that come up in the grey bar above the keyboard quite useful for spelling suggestions.

Don't be afraid to play with the keyboard settings, you can turn them on and off very easily.

Grandad1943 Wed 31-Oct-18 07:16:33

With Grammarly go to settings/keyboard and change to English.

For those using Google Android devices, Grammarly works very well with Google's own voice recognition which comes as a built-in app with any of the latest Android or Chrome OS Devices.

Not always 100% perfect but close to after short period of voice training.

NanKate Wed 31-Oct-18 08:36:30

I'm glad it is not just me. I wonder when we get the next update if it will correct itself, here's hoping.

Auntieflo Wed 31-Oct-18 08:46:58

NanKate. I also have a new IPad, and found the same 'pink' thing re spelling. If you double click, as the helpful and clever NanaMacGeek says you will get a correct spelling suggested.
Isn't it lovely that we can get such quick answers to a problem on GN?

NanaMacGeek Wed 31-Oct-18 13:30:46

blush

NanKate Wed 31-Oct-18 17:05:40

Thanks NanaMac I will try the double click.

I have noticed this problem only shows up on GN not my normal responses to emails. If it continues for some time I will report it to HQ.

Yes AuntieFlo GN is of full of intelligent, helpful people. ?

Auntieflo Wed 31-Oct-18 18:16:57

NanaMacGeek. ☺️

Jalima1108 Wed 31-Oct-18 19:28:24

I don't seem to have progressed beyond a red pen so any spelling mistakes are entirely my own.

NanKate Thu 01-Nov-18 19:23:56

NanaMac the double click worked. A result. ?THANKS

Beyonslay Mon 05-Nov-18 00:22:58

"Hello, I also have a problem with my spell check on my smartphone and it bothers me, how to disable it?
Thank you."