Gransnet forums

Technology

Windows 10 - any good?

(23 Posts)
Maggiemaybe Sun 16-Dec-18 23:39:34

I preferred Windows 7, and had a few issues when I changed, but I’ve had 10 for so long now I can’t remember what they were! Apart from the fact that the excellent Norton tune-up program I had, with a lifetime licence, was no longer compatible, and I’m convinced my computer runs more slowly than it used to as a result.

Jangran99 Sun 16-Dec-18 23:29:55

Marydoll gave a warning to be careful of clicking on a previous link from this poster.It was the thread on space bar on iphones. I'm not technological but her advice on other IT topics has been good.

yejun Sun 16-Dec-18 22:12:16

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

hdh74 Tue 11-Dec-18 13:37:29

Oh and we also have a chrome book, which I bought as backup till we decide what to replace the main computer with. It's not suitable for me to use all the time as I'm partially sighted and the screen has to be huge on the pc for me to see it, and it's also not good for supporting photography processing which matters to me, but it's great for every day use (I just have to use jam jar specs and sit too close which isn't good)

hdh74 Tue 11-Dec-18 13:34:49

I upgraded to windows 10 and I have a lot of problems because every time there is another update I find another driver won't work. Sometimes drivers for the pc itself, but often for peripherals like printer, cameras, camcorder etc, and I haven't been able to find new drivers. My old pc is grinding to a halt under the weight of windows 10 and I know I'll have to replace it soon, but no idea what to as I'm still unimpressed with windows 10 but I suspect it will work better on a newer model.
Don't know if my various gadgets would have worked better with a new pc, I did find work around to get the files off my cameras etc and I had to get a cable to use my printer to work, and without bidirectional communication so I only find out there's no ink left when it stops working sort of thing.
I think it might be worth asking if any gadgets you have would be compatible with a new computer, if you can find out.

Nata Tue 11-Dec-18 12:16:01

I think Windows 7 is better than 10, but now I have 10 and I'm getting used to it.

Grandad1943 Mon 03-Dec-18 12:29:43

kittylester, if you have to consider the purchase of a new laptop, a Chromebook which run on Google OS may well be appropriate.

Laptops running the above operating system are very secure requiring no antivirus or malware software installation as all operations on the device is passed through Googles cloud servers immediately on being carried out. Googles Chrome Operating system is the only OS never to have been hacked and is increasingly being used in commercial environments.

Microsoft now draws a large and growing percentage of their revenue from commercial cloud storage, and there is much speculation that the gradual phasing out of the Windows operating system may well be in Microsoft's agenda.

Evidence to the above can be witnessed in that Microsoft has released all their Office software on to the Google Chrome operating system. The foregoing would have been considered unthinkable only a couple of years ago.

Using devices running Chrome OS is a completely different experience to using Windows OS, but much more straightforward once anyone becomes familiar with the system.

EllanVannin Mon 03-Dec-18 11:18:45

Yes Martha jolly1 I have two new memory sticks here which you've just reminded me about. What am I like ?
I'll have to look at the instructions on how to do it-------which is obviously going to save me forking out for help.
I'd clean forgotten about those sticks.

Marthjolly1 Mon 03-Dec-18 10:38:26

Ellanvannin my plan is to transfer everything on old laptop to a memory stick then transfer to new one. If only I could get into the old one sad .........

lemongrove Mon 03-Dec-18 10:16:32

We have Windows 10 on the PC, no problems with it.

henetha Mon 03-Dec-18 10:12:49

I've had Windows 7 for ages and am reluctant to go to Windows 10. But my sons say I will really need to soon as Windows 7 is rapidly becoming out of date.
I wish they wouldn't keep changing it! But I suppose I will have to give in quite soon.

humptydumpty Mon 03-Dec-18 09:18:08

I've been using Windows 10 on my home PC since Microsoft installed it for me (without my consent!) in the early days - I've had no problems at all - to my surprise!

EllanVannin Mon 03-Dec-18 09:03:21

Marthajolly1, I'm in the same predicament with my old vista 7 which has photo's and documents to transfer to this 10 laptop. I'll wait until the New Year and will probably have to pay an arm and a leg to get them transferred via a technician because there's no way I'm going to try and tackle it.

NanaandGrampy Mon 03-Dec-18 08:58:13

Ive been using Windows 10 since the beta version and never had a scrap of trouble with it. Its a faff initially because not everything is where you expect to find it but I think its pretty good .

Marthjolly1 Mon 03-Dec-18 08:56:12

I've just last week upgraded my 10 year old laptop with Windows Vista basic. The new laptop has windows 10. I'm disappointed it doesn't come with Microsoft office but Wordpad seems to be quite OK. I'm still getting the hang of it. My old laptop has dozens of photos and docs I want to transfer but it has frozen. I've tried absolutely everything to get into it to no avail. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

EllanVannin Mon 03-Dec-18 08:33:18

Mine is a Windows 10 with seemingly every gadget you can think of but I don't do experimenting.
I'd had it for 18 months before I realised that there's a camera in the " lid ".
My old Windows 7 with a flat battery is hanging on to hundreds of emails because I can't transfer/migrate them onto this laptop.

aggie Sun 02-Dec-18 21:57:00

I preferred 10 , might get Grandson to do it for me

FlexibleFriend Sun 02-Dec-18 21:53:52

I've got windows 10 on my laptop and never had a problem with it.

Anniebach Sun 02-Dec-18 21:50:47

I would love to replace windows 10 with windows 7 , found 7 easier to understand

Marydoll Sun 02-Dec-18 21:46:41

Kitty, I had Windows 7 until my PC packed up in March.
As Windows 7 is no longer is supported, ( except for a fee, I believe), my son installed windows 10.
Initially there were a few problems every time there was a Windows 10 update, but I have found it ok recently.
Windows 10 is supposed to be more secure than 7. It did take me a while to get used to it, but I have no problems now.

kittylester Sun 02-Dec-18 21:28:32

Thanks aggie. Mine has Windows 7 - is there much difference?

aggie Sun 02-Dec-18 21:22:39

I had Windows 10 on my old laptop and found it ok , I had downloaded it when it was free , this laptop has windows 7 on it and I should really have got 10 onto it , but it belonged to OH and he was starting to suffer from memory loss and I left it alone till he died , so now I have it since my own laptop gave up ,

kittylester Sun 02-Dec-18 21:17:43

I've just thrown a cup of tea over my laptop and I suspect it is beyond help.

Most of the replacements that I can find come with Windows 10 which I seem to remember had a bad name.

Does anyone use it, is it any good?