Gransnet forums

Technology

Windows Live Mail - advice needed please

(4 Posts)
Luckygirl Sat 29-Dec-18 10:25:39

My new laptop has Windows Live Mail - I am used to Outlook Express.

Live Mail has no send/receive button and it seems that the emails come down in batches every half hour or so. There seems to be no way to force the mail to come down even when you know it has been sent - you just have to wait for it to appear later. This has been a problem twice in the last week when a new password link has been sent and it does not appear for ages, leaving the nice person on the other end of the phone who has sent it waiting too.

Does anyone know how to make the messages appear as they are received and not in batches? I have looked for "Properties" but cannot even find that!

Thanks in advance.

ProudNanna Mon 31-Dec-18 08:43:26

Why dont you go back to using Outlook Express on your new laptop?

Marydoll Mon 31-Dec-18 08:58:14

Luckygirl , this is what my Live Mail interface looks like.
If you click, send, receive, it downloads new messages, whenever you want. No need to wait. That was driving me mad, having to wait.

Sorry it's hard to see, but if you click on the image, you can enlarge it.

libra10 Mon 31-Dec-18 10:56:50

Windows Live Mail is no longer supported by Microsoft. Their alternative is Windows Mail.

www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/mail-and-calendar/9wzdncrfhvqm?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

I prefer using Thunderbird, which is similar to Live Mail.

www.thunderbird.net/en-US/

If you use Office, you can also choose Microsoft Outlook email programme.

I don't know why Microsoft decided not to continue with Live Mail as it was my favourite email programme.

Good luck