Gransnet forums

Technology

Windows 7 Death Of ?

(11 Posts)
sneazzy95 Wed 13-Nov-19 13:32:28

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

absthame Thu 24-Oct-19 01:12:01

There are maybe billions of Linux users, android is Linux, most nest devices run Linux as does for example Amazon's Firestick.

I run Linux on some servers and windows 10 on smaller ones and Windows 10 on most work stations, a lot of my customers' machine tools run Windows XP and we protect them using panda's active defense 360.

Windows 7 will not suddenly stop working but as with any MS operating systems it needs exceptional protection if it is to be secure. By the way don't be fooled by the hype, chromebooks are not totally safe from external attacks, it's simply that relatively few exist in the world and they are not profitable enough to attack in volume, while attacks on Windows can be very very profitable.

BoilerMakerr Thu 18-Jul-19 05:15:45

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

EllanVannin Wed 12-Jun-19 08:40:21

I have both a 7 vista and this new Aspire 3 ( wireless ), which up to now once " tuned in " is easy to operate. I still have to transfer pics/documents from the vista to this one but it's early days yet as I haven't even had this for a week.
The 7 has been brilliant, a real workhorse of the laptops. I realised a while back that it wouldn't be supported for much longer.

johancruyff Wed 12-Jun-19 08:19:50

i bought pc for own home. i use window 7 64 bit daiy routine. window 7 very useful for home or office work professions .

grandtanteJE65 Fri 26-Apr-19 11:09:09

Well, I would be happy to think that this is the beginning of the end for Windows. It has been a pain in the neck from the word go.

Frankly Microsoft is such a big organization that I doubt they care whether their systems work or not, or what we think of them.

I would welcome a completely new system.

Any Linux users out there?

EmmaHarmon Sun 21-Apr-19 18:31:12

It does not matter, it is so purely formal procedure

RosieLeah Tue 12-Feb-19 10:38:35

I have a Windows 10 computer but hardly use it, because when I switch on I have to wait for it to update and download before I can do anything. I bought a Chromebook...switch on and straight in..no waiting.

Rufus2 Tue 12-Feb-19 10:35:45

So, Rufus, many think the writing is on the wall for the whole "Windows System", and perhaps that will be in the not too distant future
Thanks Grandad; Of course I had to Google "Azure Cloud Storage" then came across "Blob Storage" and "Redundancy Options". Blimey! It's another world of jargon. Just before I retired in 1991 I joined up with local PC Clubs at WIN 95B level when mention of the word Google brought titters from some of the audiences. Worked through all the WIN family up to 10 which doesn't get on with me and now it looks like the end of the road is in sight, but it won't be long before I'm a "redundancy option". Maybe I'll be able to continue my hobby up in the "clouds". sad
If you don't mind me asking, are you into IT heavily at work? My info comes from a few on-line comp. forums and magazine whizz kids which presents a challenge in remembering where I've filed all the useful stuff, but fortunately our ISP provides 5 A/cs for the price of one so that helps. Thanks and Good Health.

Grandad1943 Sun 10-Feb-19 14:23:03

Rufus2, there are many analysts that believe Microsoft are no longer committed to its Windows Operating System. The Corporation now makes a very large percentage of its revenue from its Azure cloud storage system, and it is in the further development of that huge resources are being placed.

Evidence to the above could be witnessed last month when Microsoft told its mobile system users to replace their devices with Apple Ipad/phones or Google Android tablets/phones as support for the mobile version of Widows was to be withdrawn.

Microsoft have recently placed their flagship Office 360 software on Google and Apple operating systems, something that would have been unthinkable only two years ago.

So, Rufus, many think the writing is on the wall for the whole "Windows System", and perhaps that will be in the not too distant future.

Rufus2 Fri 08-Feb-19 09:31:13

Thought this is interesting; courtesy of "The Oldie" mag.

The hidden costs of the digital age

"Recent news from Microsoft highlighted the fact that, digitally speaking, we don't really own anything, we borrow it. As of 20th January 2020, they will be withdrawing free support for Windows 7, support consisting largely of security updates and bug fixes that keep the crooks out.

Of course, many organisations (and people) still use Windows 7 - generally big organisations, especially public services with stretched budgets and thousands of computers. Windows will provide support until 2023, but at a price – $50, $100 then finally $200 per machine per year. If you have 1000 computers (which an organisation with 800 employees easily might), this support would be a total cost of $350,000, and failure to pay will effectively unlock the back door and invite the baddies in.

The trouble is, $350,000 might be the cheapest short term option. The alternative is to upgrade to Windows 10, which a machine currently running Windows 7 may not be capable of handling, and so will need replacing.

The brutal truth is that every organisation, however big or small, should budget for replacing all their computers every three years, just as they do with vehicles.
I bet most don’t."

I have 7 and 10, but far prefer to use 7. Anyway I won't be around to worry! grin