Gransnet forums

Technology

O wise ones

(16 Posts)
BlueBelle Mon 11-Feb-19 15:09:03

I ve just opened my laptop (Hp Elitebook) Windows 10 and
I ve lost my cursor and can’t get it back, any ideas I rarely use my laptop mainly for my photographs and just went to check some photos and can’t get past the opening page as ‘me cursor has done a bunk’

Marydoll Mon 11-Feb-19 15:38:14

Hi Bluebelle, I found this post on a forum:
Accidentally disabled HP Elite book touchpad. I found this out the hard way. If you double click the little dot in the top left hand corner of your touch pad, you'll switch between enabling and disabling your touch pad. It's a quick fix, but kind of confusing the first time you have to try to turn it back on.

The other thing you can try is using a combination of FN + one of the F keys.
Usually, it is the Fn key plus F3, F5, F9 or F11 keys.^

It's a matter of trial and error.

BlueBelle Mon 11-Feb-19 16:00:58

marydoll thanks for trying there’s no white dots on the touchpad I tried all corners in case they had worn off but no luck Tried the FN with all fn keys but again no change
Looks like a visit to the computer shop boo hoo ?

shysal Mon 11-Feb-19 16:07:18

This happens to me occasionally. I find I have to shut the laptop down completely and log in again and the cursor re-appears.

EllanVannin Mon 11-Feb-19 16:12:42

The thing to do is switch off and start again. If you find that it doesn't switch off hold down the off switch for a few seconds until you hear a click, then switch back on. It should be okay.

Anja Mon 11-Feb-19 19:29:01

If that doesn’t work then use a plug-in mouse if you have one until the problem is fixed.

I suspect you’ll have to look in settings.

annep1 Mon 11-Feb-19 20:03:56

push the off button. close down leave a few minutes before switching on again.

BlueBelle Mon 11-Feb-19 20:21:28

It’s all been shut down but made no difference and no I don’t have a mouse
So I m snookered I ll have to call in the computer shop tomorrow bah humbug

Marydoll Mon 11-Feb-19 20:44:07

BlueBelle, one last try. Have you seen this?
www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/mouse-pointer-disappears-on-windows-10-solved/
It may be worth a try.

NanaMacGeek Mon 11-Feb-19 21:55:27

Could you have turned the touchpad off by mistake? Button 5 above the Function buttons appears to turn the touchpad on and off on the HP keyboard diagram layout I looked at.

Do you have a pointing stick on your keyboard? Does that work? I imagine that you have tried all this anyway but I thought I'd ask because touchpad controls aren't usually on the 'Function' keys and no-one has mentioned the top buttons (I don't even know if there are any on your PC hmm). I hope you solve the problem soon.

EllanVannin Mon 11-Feb-19 22:01:54

It's something to do with a configuration default.

Rufus2 Mon 11-Feb-19 22:11:28

‘me cursor has done a bunk’
Don't know if this is relevant, but on my desk-top PC pressing Ctrl then releasing shows where it is. Sometimes useful when cursor is hiding somewhere on a cluttered screen!

BlueBelle Mon 11-Feb-19 22:53:29

Well my friends I Have my cursor back although I had tried the off /wait /on system I just switched off and packed up till tomorrow but just before going to bed curiosity made me press on to have another go and bingo it was back blooming little thing however in my button pressing mode I’d managed to turn my WiFi off and couldn’t find the darned way to get that back on, but bingo have a fair bit of swearing I found a little tiny button I d never noticed before and I m back in allsenses
Thank you everyone for your help xx

Teacheranne Tue 12-Feb-19 01:13:18

You should be able to turn wifi back on by looking in settings.

It's infuriating when these things happened isn't it, trying to fix one fault creates a new one!

annep1 Tue 12-Feb-19 10:50:23

Always something new to learn ?

Anja Tue 12-Feb-19 11:01:16

If someone had told me 25 years ago that they had lost their cursor I would have been very worried.....