Gransnet forums

Technology

Google Assistant advice on use and more.....

(7 Posts)
Charleygirl5 Fri 08-Mar-19 22:34:13

I have an Amazon Echo and love it. I am partially sighted and find it useful for simple things like asking her the time and date and also setting timers when I am cooking. I also use it as an alarm clock. If I miss the news I ask Alexa for a flash briefing and she obliges.

Being technologically challenged, if I could I would get her to switch on lights etc.

Grandad1943 Fri 08-Mar-19 22:10:51

BradfordLass72, in regard to your above post, as long as you are a subscriber to Google play music which includes YouTube music, then any song to wish to play can be repeated as many times as you may wish.

The command to the speaker would be:-

1) Hey Google, play "whatever" by "artist". Artist can be not stated if you do not mind who sings or plays the requested music.

2) as the requested song plays, at any time say " hey Google repeat this song" and the music will play to the end and then repeat from the start again.

The primary advantage with speakers be it Google Home or Amazon Alexa is that almost all that is carried out on your computer, laptop, tablet or phone can be initiated and carried out by voice on the speakers.

The above includes sending emails or texts, compiling shopping lists and even making phone calls to people in your contact list on your phone.

The above I feel could be of significant assistance to persons with disabilities especially regarding eyesight.

Hope the above helps BradfordLass72.

BradfordLass72 Fri 08-Mar-19 20:21:24

Grandad1943 I'm extremely grateful that you took the time out to write that, very much appreciated.

So far, I'm not convinced I'd need it but I'm happy to be converted. I don't have a TV or wifi enabled locks or indeed anything except my PC connection.

Although I don't much like music and don't play it from choice, in one area of my life I have to learn songs in Maori.
As it's hard for me to see text (and this is why my son felt a command-operated Google might help) I'm wondering if it could play repeatedly the songs I have to learn.
They are on YouTube, most of them, so it seems as if this could be one use. But then I could do that on my PC anyway.

Still thinking about it smile

Grandad1943 Fri 08-Mar-19 11:19:28

BradfordLass72, I am working at the moment so I will have to keep this short, but we do own a Google assistant speaker which I assume you are referring to.

The Google speakers are much the same as an Amazon Alexa but in my humble opinion much better at giving you information on news, sport, shopping bargains or anything that you would typically "Google" on your laptop, tablet or phone. In that, all you have to do is say "Hey Google" followed by the question.

Owning both Google and Alexa, I have to say that we find Alexa much better in operating wifi lighting, wifi door locks, switches or any other wifi gadgets you may have on your system.

The Google speakers are however superb in running with Google play music and the recently launched YouTube music when linked to a television.

There is much more I could state BradfordLass72 but we are extremely busy here in the office due to Brexit, but I will try to post again later this evening if you would wish for further information.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 08-Mar-19 10:29:57

Hello BradfordLass72
No one here has one but I imagine there'll be a gransnetter along soon who does and can advise. There was a thread recently about Alexa (Amazon's equivalent) and what people used it for so that might be helpful to read. smile

BradfordLass72 Fri 08-Mar-19 04:29:57

I should also add that I don't have a mobile phone as I am visually handicapped, so it won't be using and kind of Android device.

BradfordLass72 Fri 08-Mar-19 04:27:41

My son would like to buy me Google Assistant. I know very little about it (but I'm researching) however there's nothing better than asking someone who already uses it.

If you do, how useful is it? What do you use it for?

Are there any drawbacks?

I might add, to save time - I don't drive or go out much or to restaurants or play music, so won't be asking it for advice on any of those subjects.