Gransnet forums

Technology

Swapping tablets, please help!

(19 Posts)
Rufus2 Mon 15-Apr-19 13:25:41

Rufus hopefully someone more technically able than I will be able to help!
Apparently there's no one more technically able than you; grin Not a sausage! But fear not; an app. called "MONEY" has solved it and now I have a new desk-top equipped with WIN 10. QED! So you can all relax and stop laying awake at night trying to solve it. ! grin

They say money can't buy love, or something like that, but it sure has helped solve some of my problems over the years and they also say you can't take it with you! grin Cheers.

phoenix Wed 10-Apr-19 08:38:09

Hello all!

I managed to do it, so many thanks for the help and advice given.

Rufus hopefully someone more technically able than I will be able to help!

Rufus2 Wed 10-Apr-19 02:47:09

Any ideas? My corded mouse is connected to one of 2 USB ports at front of desk-top PC and has never complained before. Now when I connect my camera to the other frontal USB port the poor old mouse freezes. Unplugging camera does not resuscitate mouse; powering off then on again without camera does give mouse a kick, but thinking that it was on the blink I rushed out and bought a wireless mouse,cheapo!, which works on its own of course, being new, but it too dislikes the camera and so its pointer freezes. I can't check the camera set-up without the mouse and so I'm stuck, like the mouse (!), not knowing who or what to blame! sad
Where to from here?

phoenix Sat 30-Mar-19 15:12:16

Hello all, and thanks for the responses!

BlueSapphire I'm steeling myself to tackle it tomorrow, your post is very encouraging!

BlueSapphire Sat 30-Mar-19 14:37:43

I am on my third Kindle Fire, and when you switch the new one on, it comes up and asks you whether you want to link with the old one and transfer everything. Lo and behold that's just what it does. You may have to re-log-in to some sites, but that's generally not a problem.

Auntieflo Fri 15-Mar-19 19:14:43

Was it only me then who thought, ‘medical tablets’?
Apologies Phoenix, and hope you soon get it all sorted out

Grandad1943 Fri 15-Mar-19 17:37:54

Phoenix Quote [There is usually very little paperwork with new devices, you are supposed to do it all online, or by some sort of "osmosis"!] End Quote.

Phoenix, your above reply is inline with what I pointed out in my post @ 16:10 today (15/03/19). Much of the paperwork which accompanies new devices in recent times does not include detailed instructions on any area of operation.

It usually gives very basic information on setup and registration but then refers the user to the manufacturer's website for detailed operation such as transfer of data, apps and contact details etc.

You normally have to search through the very small print in the paperwork which is enclosed with the device to find the section of the website which will have the information you require, but that's worldwide mass manufacture for you these days.

The alternative could be a search on YouTube which is very often the best answer to solving problems. Try typing "data transfer to or from Amazon fire tablet model (whatever)". You could well then find a video of someone who demonstrates how to carry out the transfer.

Hope this help again.

phoenix Fri 15-Mar-19 16:30:55

There is usually very little paperwork with new devices, you are supposed to do it all online, or by some sort of "osmosis"!

Grandad1943 Fri 15-Mar-19 16:10:43

With the latest Google Android phones and tablets your data, apps and contacts etc will transfer to any new device without even the need for a connection lead. I believe the same can be put into effect with Amazon devices, but never having owned any of their products I could not be sure.

However, information on data and app transfer from other devices is normally in the paperwork which comes enclosed with new phones and tablets. That paperwork may not fully inform the new owner how to carry that out, but it does normally give instructions where on the manufacturer's website those instructions can be found

I hope this helps.

shysal Fri 15-Mar-19 15:33:36

If you still have the previous one, I think your stuff will automatically transfer when you start the new one up. This certainly happened with my Samsung tablet.
Good luck!

rosecarmel Fri 15-Mar-19 14:20:31

Hi smile The link provided is from the Zynga site:

zyngasupport.helpshift.com/a/words-with-friends/?s=account-settings&f=how-can-i-switch-transfer-my-game-to-other-device

If I'm not mistaken, I think that's the actual game site?

Amazon offers free Technical Support- I don't know what their Customer Support number is in the UK- Perhaps someone else can help with that?

Prior to calling make a list of the content you want to know how to move from your current device to the new device and any content or information you want deleted if concerned about privacy issues- They can also walk you through how to remove the old device from your account-

Cherrytree59 Fri 15-Mar-19 13:41:23

Before sending back remember to return to factory settings, but be aware that even doing this does not stop a very tech savvy unscrutable finding your personal info on the returned tablet.

BlueBelle Fri 15-Mar-19 12:48:46

Hope that helps

BlueBelle Fri 15-Mar-19 12:48:06

www.google.com/search?safe=strict&client=safari&channel=ipad_bm&source=hp&ei=wZ6LXPPMG9G6auHYjbAN&q=how+do+i+tranfer+all+my+items+from+kindle+fire+to+a+nrpew+one+&oq=how+do+i+tranfer+all+my+items+from+kindle+fire+to+a+nrpew+one+&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-hp.3..30i10.2923.20162..22553...1.0..1.329.8335.19j34j8j1......0....1.......8..35i39j46i39j0i131j0j0i10j0i13j0i8i13i30j33i22i10i29i30j0i22i30j33i10i21j33i10i160j33i10.p-g7ur5sHqM

EllanVannin Fri 15-Mar-19 12:45:53

You'll have to buy a USB lead or similar.

cornergran Fri 15-Mar-19 11:52:17

Sorry phoenix, not at all sure. Kindle books are cloud stored so once you log in they will appear. Not sure if it’s the same for other things? Think I’d be contacting Amazon and asking them. Is that possible? Otherwise let’s hope nanamacgeek is along soon smile.

phoenix Fri 15-Mar-19 11:51:33

I am having a technological bad patch! The desktop is still out of action, now my tablet is rebelling!

Charleygirl5 Fri 15-Mar-19 11:49:01

Sorry, not the foggiest

phoenix Fri 15-Mar-19 11:47:12

Hello all, and good wishes.

My kindle fire isn't holding its charge, and as it's still under warranty, Amazon are sending me a new one smile

However, I have send this one back within 30 days.

Does anyone know how I can transfer all the "stuff" on here into the new one?

I would like to keep my current Words With Friends games, just as one example!

Techno numpty of North Devon