Gransnet forums

Technology

First time smart phone 4G needed

(63 Posts)
craftyone Tue 02-Apr-19 06:11:28

I have lived somewhere with no mobile reception for 9 years. I have a basic simple phone for emergencies, it is good for simple phone calls when out. I am moving to a new build without, as yet, landline connection. I want a smart phone that is simplicity to use, thinking samsung. Where best to buy one and which model. I don`t want to be tied in to any provider, yet. I have no idea where to start looking

Molly10 Thu 04-Apr-19 21:32:36

Definitely check out Martin Lewis site as he keeps updates on the best current sim deals. You really shouldn't be paying more than £5 per month for a contract these days. First time smart phones I would think something like a Nokia one. For a starter smart phone you shouldn't need to pay more than £100. It looks like the Nokia is about £70. Buying on line is riskier if you need to return. I would suggest buying from John Lewis, easy return and back up service plus an additional year guarantee.

Happysexagenarian Thu 04-Apr-19 12:13:09

I have a Samsung, quite an old one, but it does everything I need (texts, internet, GPS etc) and it's easy to use. My DH struggles with the all-singing-all-dancing phones, so he bought a Doro smartphone on PAYG. It's very intuitive and simple to use so he carries it everywhere with him whereas his old phone was usually left in a drawer.

B9exchange Wed 03-Apr-19 13:11:37

I seem to be bucking the trend, but both DH and I have HTC phones, which are excellent. We have SIM only contracts with Sky for £5 a month each.

trendygran Tue 02-Apr-19 21:50:05

I have a Samsung J 5 which I have now had for a few years and am still very happy with it. I also prefer Samsung for some reason.

NanaMacGeek Tue 02-Apr-19 19:10:57

Meant to add that broadband is carried over a landline. So if you ask for broadband (unless you have a cable provider or 4G Internet), you will still need to get a landline.

NanaMacGeek Tue 02-Apr-19 19:03:05

craftyone, do you need a smartphone because you don't have a landline/broadband and don't want it or do you want a temporary smart phone to provide internet access until you get a landline/broadband conection to your new house?

Do you have any other computers or tablets that you would 'tether' to your smartphone so you could access the internet with them via your phone or would you only use your smartphone to get online?

If you only want a temporary phone, I would have thought that having a good network signal is more important than the type of phone. Whatever you buy, make sure that it costs you nothing to change to another network if you find you have a poor signal (I'd ask the builders of your house what networks they have found to be best, they will know from experience). There are network coverage checkers but my experience is that you can't rely on them, one house can get a good signal whereas their neighbour doesn't.

Fran0251 Tue 02-Apr-19 18:55:43

GiffGaff are one of the best providers. Look at Which Consumer magazine results. For £10 a month I have unlimited phone time and GB. I've stopped using my land line. Buy from Carphonewarehouse. They have IT guys who will set up your phone. Brilliant.

Shizam Tue 02-Apr-19 18:22:50

No question. It has to be an iPhone. Easy to use, no viruses, apple stores give free tutorials, help etc if you need. Buy a handset, iphone6 is fine, get a SIM card on,y deal. Moneysavingexpert site is great at listing what suits your needs.

Tinker18 Tue 02-Apr-19 16:33:26

Samsung customer service is also excellent in case you have any problems (like I did!)

Miep1 Tue 02-Apr-19 16:19:44

I agree with Carphone Warehouse people. I went with iD Mobile £5 a month, never run out of minutes/texts yet and any data not used rolls over to the next month. I bought a BlackBerry Key2 as a phone because I like physical buttons - I hit all the wrong ones on screen ! My best friend has a Motorola G5 which is recommended by Which and fonds it great + battery lasts 3 days !

Rocknroll5me Tue 02-Apr-19 16:05:45

iPhone 6+ known to be their best and v cheap now there is 10 out. And definitely get it from giffgaff and get their goody bags no contract really friendly and very good value for money

Nicky7of7 Tue 02-Apr-19 16:00:19

I have an I phone and really love it for all the reasons previously stated by other GNs however the other thing which you need to consider is which provider is best for their coverage in your area. We live in a valley and we can only get good coverage from EE. Two of my children are on other networks and are unable to get a signal at my house.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 02-Apr-19 15:57:13

To be with the 'in 'crowd I bought a 'smart'. Do I use it? very little as I too prefer my friend knokia.

Granless Tue 02-Apr-19 15:50:20

Oops.. Doro 8030 from ID Mobile.

Granless Tue 02-Apr-19 15:49:38

IDMobile. Very simple phone for silver surfers.

Hm999 Tue 02-Apr-19 14:57:41

My daughter swears by 3 as a provider. She thinks their shop staff are brilluant. I don't disagree

Purplepoppies Tue 02-Apr-19 14:55:14

Another one recommending Samsung. All my gadgets are Samsung. I gave my Aunt (a technophobe) a Samsung and she loves it. My mum also has a Samsung and works it without bother.
Samsung themselves have shops that run free workshops too.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 02-Apr-19 14:30:33

I have always found Samsung's phones to be quite impossible to use unless you have a degree in electronics, which I don't.

I bought a second hand Iphone, recommended to me because it is simple to use, and it is, although there are some things you do need the online user's manual for.

Saggi Tue 02-Apr-19 14:29:09

Oh yes .... buy your phone at Carphone Warehouse as they are not linked to any network.... then go to Tesco for best deal for sim only

Saggi Tue 02-Apr-19 14:26:48

I bought my own Apple I phone 6 ,four years ago, took it to the Tesco techie guy at a big store and he sold me a SIM card only deal £10 per month. Can’t remember all details but I think 5000 texts... 1000 mins call me and 1 GB of internet. Easy to negotiate all 5he stuff on it and I’ve never looked back. My sister who is 80 and the font of all knowledge when it comes to technology ie the ‘ go to ‘ person for whole family. Her nickname being Mrs Gadget.

Purpledaffodil Tue 02-Apr-19 13:53:20

Love my iPhone. Bought it on a no interest deal from Apple and have a great SIM only deal from Three which includes a tethering option so I can use my iPad when away from WiFi. Love the way Apple devices synchronise too.

missdeke Tue 02-Apr-19 13:29:06

I have a Tesco Mobile contract, and of all the phones I've had I found Huawei/Samsung the best. They are practically identical, I believe Huawei started off as a company designing the software for Samsung. More important than anything though is to check the coverage of the different providers in the area you are moving to there are various websites which will check the coverage for you and compare the best deals.

00mam00 Tue 02-Apr-19 12:53:50

Changing from android to iPhone or vice-vers is when people have problems. Samsung which I had for years are very good.

I now have an iPhone which has taken a while to get used to, but as I have an iPad it makes sense to have the two as they link nicely.

I cannot say that either is better than the other. They both have pros and cons, so just go with what you can afford.

Nanaval4G Tue 02-Apr-19 12:41:35

If you want to use your own sim card then I would go to Carphone Warehouse, they are not connected to any network. I found out to my cost that buying in a network shop you are locked into that network. I had a Samsung but the memory wasn't very good, although their customer service is top rate. I now have a Huawei and it has been brilliant.

Pat1949 Tue 02-Apr-19 12:39:12

Personally, I like the iphone (iphone 5 in my case). I have had a Samsung in the past and wasn't keen. Whichever one you choose I'm sure you'll get used to it fairly quickly.