Gransnet forums

Technology

Now THIS is scary!

(7 Posts)
phoenix Wed 17-Apr-19 16:59:03

Hello and good wishes to you.

Just got back from a visit to the bank (quite a long trip, as all local branches have been closed angry) and am still feeling rather shock

I was going to present documents to be added as a signatory on the business account, second visit as there had been some "problems" on the first attempt, but that's another story!

I cannot believe how much they knew about me! They asked for my personal email address, I have no problem with that, then asked if I had ever had an "@live" email address.

I said "no" then they read out an email address that was one of those used by Mr P!!! They also had a work phone number from somewhere I worked for quite sometime ago.

There was a load of other stuff too, but as I had already been there for 40 minutes, trying to sort out the issues caused by having been given the wrong information (despite phoning yesterday to double check everything before the visit) I was too fed up to ask where they were getting this information from.

Now, here's the thing! I have never banked with that particular bank in my life!

shockconfusedshock

TwiceAsNice Wed 17-Apr-19 17:00:32

Spooky and quite concerning. I’m not sure I could leave it like that

ninathenana Wed 17-Apr-19 17:27:57

That is disconcerting

phoenix Wed 17-Apr-19 17:29:52

Twice I was losing the will to live, but I will be taking it up tomorrow when I have to phone to check if I now actually can access the account.

phoenix Wed 17-Apr-19 17:30:54

nina very disconcerting indeed!

BradfordLass72 Thu 18-Apr-19 03:10:35

I'm told that the IRD and any welfare agency (used to be called DHSS) can share any information with banks, security agencies such as MI5 and police, despite the so called Privacy Act.
That Act stops the banks from sharing what they know with others but not with the IRD, DHSS and others if those agencies ask for it.

Any time you sign up for HP, a house, or insurance, it's registered online and whilst the companies themselves may pledge never to sell that information, the human factor intervenes (as my son in IT keeps telling me) and anyone working in their IT departments can steal lists of details and sell them on.
It risks their jobs but many people think its worth the risk.

If you want to scare yourself even further, read this:

medium.com/swlh/what-does-google-know-about-me-or-everyone-899dc6edef47

Even the words you use here and in emails to friends are collected by clever software to form a overall picture of what you like, where you go online and in the world, even what you eat or cook - and much more.

It's all part of being active in the digital world.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 20-Apr-19 13:56:03

Have you ever tried typing your name on the Internet, on Google for instance?

If you do, it should show you all and every site where you are mentioned.

These days it is probably wise to ask former employers to delete your name, address, phone number and e-mail address.

Another trap is LinkedIn and other sites one is advised to be on when unemployed. It is difficult to delete membership, but it can be done.