Gransnet forums

Technology

The Cloud - how to use it?

(9 Posts)
kittylester Sat 20-Jul-19 16:53:38

I am fairly computer literate and can do all the things that I need to on my laptop - so not a complete numpty.

However, as others have said, Microsoft are going to stop supporting Windows 7 any time soon. My laptop also appears to be on it's last legs and I think I will get a Chromebook to replace it.

I have loads and loads of photos stored on the hard drive and I was wondering how to go about preserving them.

Do I up load them to the cloud? Put them onto a memory stick or is there something else I should do? If I put them onto a memory stick can they then be viewed on a Chrome Book?

Pittcity Sat 20-Jul-19 17:19:03

I use Google Drive. If you use the Chrome browser it is a link in the dotted square, top right.
This is a cloud based filing system, which can be accessed from any device.
Google it and download onto your old computer and transfer your photos.

dragonfly46 Sat 20-Jul-19 17:34:20

I upload everything to the Cloud. We are all Apple based here so have iphones, ipads, iwatches and Apple mac computers. I pay £0.79 a month for 50GB. If we ever upgrade it is easy to upload to the Cloud and then download everything.

Cherrytree59 Sat 20-Jul-19 18:38:41

I also use Google cloud which is a part of an app for photos and editing.

However I also send photos to my DH laptop which he then puts in his external hard drive.

It is belts and braces as I do not trust technology.
And also possible threat from hackers.

Cherrytree59 Sat 20-Jul-19 18:40:14

Ps, my Google Cloud storage is free.smile

RedRidingHood Sat 20-Jul-19 18:56:32

I use Google as well. It will tie in nicely with a chrome book. Do you take photos on an android phone? Because if you do you can have them upload automatically to Google photos, then you can view them on your laptop without actually transferring them.

kittylester Sat 20-Jul-19 20:19:25

Thank you everyone.

NanaMacGeek Sat 20-Jul-19 22:21:03

I would carry out a bit more research if I were you. If you have a specific requirement, such as processing photos, you may find that a Chromebook will not be adequate.

I'm also in favour of the 'belt and braces' approach to storage. This is an interesting article:- www.all-things-photography.com/long-term-photo-storage-devices/

dragonfly46 Sat 20-Jul-19 23:38:54

iCloud is also free but I pay for extra storage!