Gransnet forums

Technology

tablet question

(15 Posts)
vicky108 Tue 06-Aug-19 09:40:34

Hi, I have bought an alba tablet , mostly to listen to talks on youtube - but can anyone help, the volume, even when turned up full, is so low. I know other people who have more expensive tablets, and the volume on those is fine. It would be ok if i could put in my earbuds (which I know work as I use them for music with my mp3 player). But for some reason they don't work in it, I am happy to buy a small speaker, or different earbuds - but there's no point in doing so if they won't work. I read that you can download an app - but that is beyond me!! Thanks.

crazyH Tue 06-Aug-19 09:45:28

Yes, I had an old Tesco Hull which had very poor quality sound. I did download an app, but it didn't help much. Headphones or speakers are the only solutions I can think of. Good luck.

vicky108 Tue 06-Aug-19 09:51:08

Thank you. So basically it is because I chose to buy the cheapest option!?

fizzers Tue 06-Aug-19 10:06:05

First of all check that there is nothing blocking the speaker, could be dust or fluff,

The sound will only go as loud as the tablet allows. At least for the built in speaker(s). The only other thing you can do would be to use headphones or external speakers connected through the headphone jack that would have their own volume on top of the tablets volume.

You could also turn the volume up to full with the rocker button and go into the android's settings , into Sound or Audio settings /profiles, In this menu you can individually change the volume of notifications, ringtones, system sounds, and media. Increase the sliders to their maximum volume by either moving them all the way to the top or all the way to the right.

Yes there are apps available on Play Store however these can blow the system speakers.

If none of this helps take it back to the store and tell them it has faulty volume,

vicky108 Tue 06-Aug-19 11:02:23

Thank you so much - that's very helpful.

fizzers Tue 06-Aug-19 12:10:57

let me know how you get on, you can tell I'm the 'go to person' in my family!

NanaMacGeek Tue 06-Aug-19 12:53:33

Do you have access to a Bluetooth speaker? Argos say that the Alba tablet 'Features Bluetooth connectivity - so you can pump up the volume!'

vicky108 Tue 06-Aug-19 18:03:16

I would be happy to buy one if it would mean that I could hear easily. Do you just plug it it or do you have to do more complicated things (which are usually beyond me!).

notanan2 Tue 06-Aug-19 18:07:05

Put it in a metal mixing bowl: instant amplifier

JackyB Tue 06-Aug-19 18:34:42

Use a bluetooth speaker or headphones.

The volume is often blocked at a low level to prevent damage to people's ears when they listen to loud music, but this is often too quiet for podcasts or other speech media. Mine always asks if I am sure I want to override this maximum volume level.

Make sure the volume is turned up both in the app AND on the hardware.

NanaMacGeek Tue 06-Aug-19 21:33:28

Bluetooth is a wireless technology so you don't just plug it into your tablet. Bluetooth headphones/ear buds or speaker will need to get power from somewhere, whether it be batteries, a case that they are charged in or a plug into an electrical circuit. With Bluetooth, you'd have to 'pair' your tablet with a speaker (if that's what you choose). However, if you turn on the speaker, then look for Bluetooth in the settings on your tablet and turn that on, you should see the name of your speaker and be able to connect to it (follow the pairing instructions on screen if needed). The volume control will be on the speaker but you control what you send to it with the tablet.

I hope you manage to find a suitable speaker (or earphones) that produces the volume you need.

vicky108 Wed 07-Aug-19 08:41:06

Thank you for all the advice, everybody. Very helpful.

annep1 Thu 08-Aug-19 02:44:18

First thing check the settings.

annep1 Thu 08-Aug-19 02:47:19

There's a support site for Alba tablet

emilyrose Mon 24-Aug-20 02:28:31

I would suggest you to use wireless bluetooth earbuds in this case.