Gransnet forums

Technology

Another scam

(8 Posts)
jeanie99 Thu 12-Sep-19 08:33:28

I'm not on BT, we have had the phone communication scam. It seems to be in our area at the moment, many people have received the phone calls.

HildaW Tue 10-Sep-19 19:57:31

We had one the other day from 'The Bank' (I do not think they mention a specific bank - just hope we make the assumption its ours) saying there had been an unexplained £600 withdrawal and if we pressed such and such extension it could be sorted. Normally such calls are ignored BUT DH had an hour or so earlier paid a large bill online and previously it has been the sort of amount queried by the bank (you get one of those automated calls to contact their security dept) ….so we were almost sucked in. DH put the phone down and used his mobile to contact the bank and they confirmed the bill had been paid and they had not queried anything! Be warned these so and sos are getting sneakier and sneakier.

bikergran Tue 10-Sep-19 19:37:39

I had email about my tv licence ,apparently if I don't reply the debt collectors may call! {I pay automatically every quarter:

WadesNan Tue 10-Sep-19 09:40:23

Had to laugh yesterday, received a call from someone with very bad English who said they had noticed I was receiving a lot of nuisance calls (I don't) and he worked for a company that could stop them!! After I stopped laughing I pointed out he was making a nuisance call and would he please go away (or words to that effect)

Witzend Tue 10-Sep-19 09:33:52

That might depend on the recipient, Teacheranne!

People who say that spelling and grammar don't much matter any more, and think that nitpicking pedants (like me ?) are a dying breed and good riddance, overlook the fact that an eagle eye is very helpful for spotting scams.

Teacheranne Tue 10-Sep-19 09:24:30

Yesterday I received an email from Amazon about their Reward scheme ending - don't even know anything about the rewards!

But it was so poorly written with bad grammar, spelling mistakes and missing words that I doubt that anyone would be taken in!

Fiachna50 Tue 10-Sep-19 09:22:39

Thanks Tiggy. I am not with BT but know others who are. Will warn them.

tiggypiro Tue 10-Sep-19 09:07:28

This morning I received an email supposedly from BT asking me to ''Please Activate BT Web Protect 682336096''. Having just checked with the real BT ( I am such a sceptic!) they confirmed that it is indeed a scam. Plese do not be caught out.