Gransnet forums

Technology

Getting rid of adverts in Windows 10

(4 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Tue 17-Sep-19 12:06:03

I updated my pc from Windows 7 to 10 taking advantage of Microsoft's offer to do so gratis.

I should have know better!

They have jam-packed their Solitaire (Patience) with adds that prevent you from starting a game, so you are forced to view the adds.

Does anyone know how to get rid of these?

EllanVannin Tue 17-Sep-19 13:29:18

I have a " normal " Win 10 laptop---no adverts in my free online patience app., though wouldn't know how to stop the adds in an updated programme.
Try refreshing or even cancelling the existing thread and google what it is you want in order to start afresh.

Nellie098 Tue 17-Sep-19 15:41:08

Firstly are you able to right click on Solitaire and change any settings or find solitare on your p.c. via file explorer and see if you change anything from there. Could you uninstall it and re-install it to ensure you haven't ticked a box without noticing that allows these ads.
In Webuser No.481 there is an article on ad blocking. It recommends downloading Adblock Plus or Adblocker Ultimate (adblockultimate.net). This is a free add on for Chrome and Firefox but works in other browsers. There is also a programme AdNauseam (adnauseam.io) that when you have visited a site and it allows the advertiser to be paid but you don't see the adds. Hope one of these options works.

techoarm1 Wed 25-Sep-19 08:05:00

I will try the Nellie098's advice,the ads upset me from time to time.