Gransnet forums

Technology

Photos that rotate themselves!

(11 Posts)
fourormore Fri 27-Sep-19 13:29:34

Total and complete muppet here so please bear with me!

I am creating some memoirs for an elderly friend of mine and have got to the stage of cut/pasting photographs from my pictures into the main text document.

99% of these photos transfer with no problem - I bring up the photo, click on copy, bring up the document, click paste and the photo is in place ready to be formatted into the appropriate position.

I now have two photos in my pictures that I want to include so ....

I bring up each photo in my pictures and the photo is the correct way up when I click on copy -

The photo appears on the document when I click paste but the photo has rotated itself anticlockwise 90 degrees!

I had this happen a while ago and played around trying all sorts and suddenly it righted itself but now, it has started again but I never knew what I did that cured it last time!

I have tried rotating it clockwise 90 degrees before copying in the hope it will drop back but when pasted it still comes up 90 degrees anticlockwise!

Any ideas from you clever Gnetters would be very much appreciated!

BlueBelle Fri 27-Sep-19 13:32:51

Turn it 90 degrees yourself and post it that way and with fingers crossed it might turn itself round back to where you want it

LondonGranny Fri 27-Sep-19 13:32:57

Are you using Microsoft Word?

LondonGranny Fri 27-Sep-19 13:36:37

Also are you sending the doc by email, printing off or using a phone? If the latter, I cannot help you because what I know about them is a big fat zero.

fourormore Fri 27-Sep-19 13:52:12

Bluebell have tried that but it makes no difference - bizarre!

LondonGranny I am using Microsoft Word but only on my laptop.

As I said I'm a muppet and my 'olden days phone' (as the GC call it!) is only used for ringing, receiving or texts!

I have been doing this project for several weeks now with a mixture of photos taken on my idiot proof sureshot camera and some downloaded from emails and the net.
99% of the time they copy and paste with no problem. I can then crop, format etc. and all is well!

I am sure I must have clicked on something without realising it! I am fine while things work but hopeless when they don't!!! Perseverance is needed I feel!

BlueBelle Fri 27-Sep-19 17:24:33

If they come out the wrong way edit them after they have arrived You can click on the edit button them swivel it round

fourormore Fri 27-Sep-19 18:12:39

I feel the gremlin is winning BlueBelle
When I transfer photos from my camera they come out in landscape so if the photo was taken portrait I need to rotate it. That is never a problem - easy!
My problem occurs a step further on - from the camera the photos go into 'Pictures' on my laptop and can be rotated as much as I like.
Once in my 'Pictures' the gremlin moves in - a beautifully portrait or landscaped photo is there when 'copy' is clicked, then when 'paste' is clicked to the blank word doc the image is 90 degrees out!
I have just tried it again and it doesn't appear that I can rotate it once it is pasted? I've looked down 'edit' 'format' and all sorts!
Thanks so much for your suggestions - I will persevere!

Sussexborn Fri 27-Sep-19 19:00:42

Sorry can’t help at all. Try googling photo forums. There seem to be loads.

LondonGranny Sat 28-Sep-19 21:52:18

You should be able to format and anchor the photos on MS Word docs. I had a look on the MS Word support pages and it was silent on the matter. No surprise, their support is dire. It's a while since I used Word myself. Not since I retired, to be honest.

LondonGranny Sat 28-Sep-19 21:53:01

Try searching for 'anchor images' on their help topics on your computer.

LondonGranny Sat 28-Sep-19 21:53:48

...and sorry for the late reply, this thread wasn't showing on the 'I'm On' section of the forums.