Gransnet forums

Technology

Family Sharing.

(10 Posts)
NanaMacGeek Fri 11-Oct-19 11:58:50

hereshoping, make sure you buy the right 'Dummies' book for your iPad. I have an older iPad but found myself helping someone with an iPad Pro recently. It took me some rapid Googling and several wrong turns before I worked out the differences and was able to help. I wish I could afford an iPad Pro but can't justify it so I can see myself rapidly getting out of date. sad

hereshoping Fri 11-Oct-19 09:50:40

No help from me I'm afraid.
Planning to put Ipads for Senior Dummies on my Christmas list.

newnanny Wed 09-Oct-19 12:45:51

We share our kindle accounts so we can all read the books one of us buys. I think you can have 6 linked.

Treelover Wed 09-Oct-19 11:07:02

what a heartening exchange

Lovetopaint037 Wed 09-Oct-19 09:23:53

Thank you so much Nana. You have gone to so much trouble on my behalf. It is now much clearer. Also, I had forgotten about Airdrop. My grandson’s girl friend showed me how to do it a couple of months ago. We were only using phones so I hadn’t thought of IPads. I do really appreciate the time you have spent on this. I am now going to screen shoot it to keep handy.

NanaMacGeek Tue 08-Oct-19 15:21:53

Have just looked this up. (I've had trouble with this in the past and, because my DH is the music lover, I have made him the family organiser so he shares his purchases with me. We store a credit card with Apple but have used iTunes cards too, you can tell Apple which of your cards you want it to take payment from.)

The advice I've given you about Apple family sharing is correct as far as it goes. However, your DH will have to set up his own iTunes account and redeem his card (i.e. put credit on his account) before he tries to make any purchases and then manage his credit himself. I can't find out if he can share his purchases with you under these circumstances, although, if he runs out of credit, any purchases he makes as a 'family' member will come out of your card and then you both can share them.

As to photo sharing, it is very simple to 'Airdrop' photos between Apple devices, again I suggest you Google 'Apple Airdrop photos between devices'.

It's never really simple is it?

NanaMacGeek Tue 08-Oct-19 10:43:37

I'm sorry, I misunderstood your post. I also didn't realise that you weren't using a credit card on your Apple device but iTunes cards. You can still follow and set up family sharing so that your DH can download music that you have bought but there is no reason that your DH can't set up his own iTunes account. However, the problem may be that he can't share his purchases with you. If you use Apple family sharing, there is only one organiser (purchaser) for the family group.

I have to go out but will think about this and try and get back to you later.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 08-Oct-19 09:50:45

Thank you Nana that is really helpful. So it seems there is no point putting an iTunes card on his iPad. That is a shame. I thought he would enjoy being independent.
Am I right in thinking that his purchases wouldn’t come out of my credit on my iTunes card? I don’t really want them to come off my card while I have a lot of credit. Thank you again.

NanaMacGeek Tue 08-Oct-19 09:34:56

You need to set up family sharing on your iPad. Add DH to your account. Once you've done that, your DH should get a message that he will need to accept. He will then need to access the Apple apps that you purchase from and look for the 'Purchased' tabs. He will see everything you've bought and can download it to his iPad. If you get stuck, Google 'Family sharing on iPad'. There is plenty of help. Your card will be the one that all purchases will be paid from if you are the organiser of a family group.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 08-Oct-19 09:10:07

Would welcome some help. Just bought my dh his first iPad for his 80th birthday. As he was keen to get the music I have on my iPad as well as photos I setup family sharing with his name attached to my account. Well, first how does he access my music and photos? Secondly if I put an iTunes card on his iPad will any purchases be taken from that or will it be taken from my credit? Would be grateful for advice.