Gransnet forums

Technology

Does anyone have a modem for traveling

(12 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Mon 09-Dec-19 15:26:03

I would stick to the dongle. There are plenty of places in Germany and the Netherlands that do not have free wifi - especially harbours.

jeanie99 Tue 05-Nov-19 11:11:24

Well thank you so much for all the information so much to think about but I am still not sure what to do.
Thanks again much appreciated.

NanaMacGeek Tue 29-Oct-19 19:00:39

My understanding of a modem is that it is uses a cable (ethernet) instead of WiFi to connect between the ethernet port on a computer (the physical access point to the built-in modem) and the ethernet port on a router. You would need access to the router itself to use a modem and to change the network settings on your computer to prefer an ethernet connection to access the internet.

I think you may be getting confused with a mobile hotspot (a Mi-fi is an example) which still provides you with WiFi but you pay for a data only SIM from a mobile provider and it provides a WiFi service to which you can connect several devices, usually within 10 metres.

A mobile hotspot, like a dongle, uses the mobile phone network and would be more secure than using hotel WiFi but you are still dependent on a good mobile signal.

SynchroSwimmer Tue 29-Oct-19 17:55:37

Yes - I use one, very happy and very impressed with it.
It’s a MiFi unit - Huawei, a little box from Amazon
I buy a Three data SIM card - also from Amazon “data with legs”
Cost about £60 for both together

Often our hotels abroad charge for wifi access, (often say £23 a week) - so this has paid for itself already.

Also the wifi access is sometimes only available in hotel public areas eg reception - rather than in your room (I like to surf in bed)

Switch on, use it, then switch off again - all easy.

DoraMarr Tue 29-Oct-19 17:44:30

Yes, you do use your phone’s data allowance- but you can buy more, as and when you need it. I have an apple 5g smartphone (contract) and an iPad, and I either log on to the train, railway station, or hotel WiFi, which is usually free, or use my phone as a hotspot. I prefer this method, but chacon a son gout.

Davidhs Tue 29-Oct-19 17:39:44

Jeanie

I’ve travelled to all sorts of remote places and I’ve never had a guest house or hotel without WiFi, anywhere using Airbnb probably has WiFi, many times it has been good enough to use FaceTime as well. Mobile internet is another matter, you have to have a compatible service provider, that can make it difficult, also power cuts interrupt service in some countries. Your mobile contract with 2 GB of data will soon get used up viewing web pages or sending photos on WhatsApp etc, look where your mobile service provides roaming.
It sounds like they are trying to sell you a global mobile internet service - expensive

Mamie Tue 29-Oct-19 16:29:49

We had one of those in Spain a few years ago (called mifi). We paid a few euros a week for a small device linked to a Spanish provider and running through 4g. We were able to connect about five devices at once. At the time our phones had limited data and the owner of the apartment had decided we only needed 0.5 mg for a week. ?

jeanie99 Tue 29-Oct-19 16:18:10

Hi Dora Marr
If I use my smartphone as a WIFI connector aren't I using the data on my phone? I only have 2GB.
Not sure how these things work to be honest.

jeanie99 Tue 29-Oct-19 16:13:59

Thanks for the comment BlueBelle, I think the salesman is trying it on to make the sale.

When I've used the dongle you pay say for a month with a service provider and you can use it anywhere.

I want to be able to get on the Internet where ever I am, not all accommodation have WIFI.

DoraMarr Tue 29-Oct-19 16:12:16

If you have a smartphone and a tablet or laptop of the same make you can use your phone as a WiFi hotspot. Otherwise, as Bluebell says, you can use the WiFi in your hotel, on the train etc.

BlueBelle Tue 29-Oct-19 16:02:59

Well if it’s going over WiFi you just need the password of the hotel/ relative/airport etc

jeanie99 Tue 29-Oct-19 15:55:48

I've used a dongle many times when traveling for my laptop to use the Internet.
My understanding is that I can purchase a modem and this will allow me to use multi devices via that for Internet use.
When I made inquiries about the cost today I was told I didn't need a service provider when using the modem.
That sounds very strange to me, can anyone advice me.