Gransnet forums

Technology

G-Mail

(16 Posts)
Rufus2 Sat 07-Dec-19 10:15:45

My mobile (smartphone) tells me my Gmail password has been changed It wasn't me because I can't remember it anyway! Solution? Delete A/C permanently and create new one. A bit of a struggle has ensued!
Has anyone done this, remember how they did it and have any tips and tricks?
Many thanks.

JackyB Sat 07-Dec-19 10:17:19

It might be difficult to delete the account if you can't remember your password.

Alima Sat 07-Dec-19 10:22:04

Can’t you have a different email Rufus? One that is more user friendly. I find Gmail to be very hard work. This would be an ideal time to switch.

Ginny42 Sat 07-Dec-19 10:25:51

I'm switching to one which doesn't scan your emails. It's free, although you can pay for more sophisticated version.

Rufus2 Sat 07-Dec-19 13:50:53

Ginny; Which one is that?

Alima; My regular server allows me up to 5 addresses at no extra charge which is very useful for allowing me to handle correspondence under 5 headings e.g. Family, Medical, Social Services etc. For some reason, which escapes me, I thought a separate "anonymous" address would be handy for private stuff! Sir Les Patterson would understand! grin Only joking! wink
Jacky; I know! One "helpline" had me in a loop, telling me to get into my Google account, enter my password, then press delete! I ask you!

ninathenana Sat 07-Dec-19 13:57:52

outlook.com is very user friendly

NanaMacGeek Sat 07-Dec-19 14:25:29

If you are being told your password has been changed, I hope you haven't been hacked. Do you only access your Gmail on your smartphone, or can you access it from a PC or another device.

Were you given the opportunity to reset your password? (This only works if you have already supplied an alternative email address and/or smartphone number.) Once you delete your account, you lose all access to the emails attached to that account.

Given that email security is increasingly important, a second email address with a different provider isn't a bad thing either. Gmail ask for a 'rescue address' so that they can send a link to your second email address for a password reset.

I use two email providers, one for my important mails, one for subscriptions and purchases. I tend to just delete the emails in the second 'updates' email address but it keeps it alive.

I have been asked for help by so many people who have forgotten passwords or were just not sure which password was needed. Even fingerprint and face recognition technology can fail and you may still need to use a password. One tip I have for 'remembering' passwords is to look round your house and see if there is anything in plain sight such as some small writing on a wall poster, an extract from a recipe -something that is complex enough but familiar to you, or simply use a password manager.

Rufus2 Sun 08-Dec-19 11:31:41

Do you only access your Gmail on your smartphone, or can you access it from a PC or another device
Nana Thanks for your comprehensive reply I'm hoping to access Gmail via PC and Smartphone.Using PC (Win7 ) to set up and almost there, I think! hmm. with new user name and new password which I've written down everywhere. To hell with burglars! Also password manager.!
No idea what goes on in my previous A/C; I'd like to see it deleted, but I need its password in order to do that, apparently! confused
Thanks to everyone on this thread; I'll issue another report in due course, with the good news. grin

Missfoodlove Sun 08-Dec-19 13:13:51

Have you downloaded the G mail app?
White and red envelope icon?
If not download on your phone and the account should appear.
It should not be necessity use a password.

Missfoodlove Sun 08-Dec-19 13:14:03

Necessary!

Rufus2 Sun 08-Dec-19 13:15:52

Were you given the opportunity to reset your password
Nana; Sorry about the break! My (frozen) dinner awaited in the microwave and as it's now 11.30pm ( and still 19C outside) thought I'd better have it, chicken parmigiana and 4 veg,! Otherwise I'll be having it for brekkie!

No opportunity was offered; only an invitation to delete by inserting my (forgotten) password! confused

As I said previously my ISP allows up to 5 email addresses at no extra cost which can be operated separately, but are obviously still dependent on the main one.

I'll pick up this thread again to-morrow Hang about!
Oops! Monday has snuck in!

NanaMacGeek Mon 09-Dec-19 10:25:15

Rufus, the reason I asked about access to your old Gmail account on another device is in case your PC (or other device) had stored your password for you. You can reset your password if you can open your Gmail account.

Missfoodlove, if you use the GMail app, your password is stored on your device, you still need to enter your Gmail account password to set up the app, you just don't have to enter it every time you open the app.

Rufus2 Tue 10-Dec-19 11:14:42

You can reset your password if you can open your Gmail account
Nana; Thanks, but that assumes I can access my Gmail A/c. in order to delete. That requires my password; forgotten, and I haven't had time to setup anywhere else
Now, to confuse myself, Hotmail has been suggested, so funds for further research are needed! hmm

It should not be necessity use a password
*MissF.L Isn't that dangerous? Or have I got that wrong? confused

Missfoodlove Tue 10-Dec-19 11:21:09

Do you not have fingerprint ID?

NanaMacGeek Tue 10-Dec-19 22:43:53

Missfoodlove, I use fingerprint ID to open my smartphone (it also has facial recognition) but don't believe it is used to open my Gmail app as well. (Perhaps an iPhone is different). I had to add my Gmail account password when I installed the Gmail app on my Android and I can’t see any way of additionally verifying the Gmail app with a fingerprint. I would have expected the usual secure protocol handshakes between the smartphone and the Gmail servers to take place in order to see emails once the phone is unlocked. However, I can't afford all the devices I would like to play with so may be getting out of date. sad

Rufus2 Wed 11-Dec-19 09:46:23

Do you not have fingerprint ID?
MissFL; No! I know a bit about it, but wouldn't know where to start. I'll bounce it on our computer group table tomorrow morning and see what the lads know! Thanks!