Gransnet forums

Technology

Streaming

(15 Posts)
NanKate Thu 16-Jan-20 17:10:52

A friend has bought a new seaside apartment and has offered it to us for a short holiday. She says there is no tv and she has no licence and wants to keep it that way.

She is connecting up to Wi fi so I will be able to use my IPad but I wonder if I will be able to stream from Netflix Amazon etc. Of course I wouldn’t use the BBC as she has no licence. I don’t want to ask her as it is very good that she is letting us stay there, but I do like watching my programmes at night.

Any useful info on this please on whether I can stream.

Pittcity Thu 16-Jan-20 17:16:58

If you have a TV licence you can watch the BBC on iPlayer anywhere. You need to be registered and log in. The license is for you not the TV.

Grannyknot Thu 16-Jan-20 17:23:25

Hi NanKate yes you will be able to watch (or stream) whatever you like on your iPad provided you have an account and you log in on either Netflix or Amazon.

Pittcity is correct you can also sign in to BBC iPlayer and I have All4 and ITV Hub on my tablet so I can watch whatever I like when we're away if there is no TV - or as is often the case, the TV is tiny and positioned up in the corner of the room where I can't see what's going on on the screen!

Pittcity Thu 16-Jan-20 17:24:18

I should add that you can stream Netflix etc too.
This should work in the UK if you have a good WiFi connection.

Grannyknot Thu 16-Jan-20 17:24:31

On BBC on the tablet all you do is register an account and then tick "I confirm I have a TV licence" and off you go.

NanKate Thu 16-Jan-20 19:45:54

This is brilliant news. I already have the BBC occasionally flag up do you have a licence and I tick yes.

Further question can anyone who has WiFi the facility to stream, I thought you had to pay more for it ? We have it at home. I will of course be streaming through her WiFi.

Grannyknot Thu 16-Jan-20 20:24:11

No you don't pay for using wifi. However, it may depend on whether she has an "Unlimited" deal.

NanKate Thu 16-Jan-20 21:40:49

Yes that was what I meant Unlimited.

Further question if I download a programme to watch does that qualify as streaming when I watch it ?

I really appreciate your help.

Grannyknot Thu 16-Jan-20 22:33:32

Streaming a programme is different to downloading a programme (but both options use data). I will ask my daughter, she is clever about this sort of stuff!

Grannyknot Thu 16-Jan-20 22:37:18

Just re-read your question - watching a downloaded programme is not the same as streaming. 'Streaming' is the same as watching a broadcast as it is scheduled, whereas downloading is the same as recording it.

NanKate Fri 17-Jan-20 08:30:48

What a knowledgeable lady you are. So much thanks. ?

Grannyknot Fri 17-Jan-20 10:32:03

Hi again - thank you, but I hope others also comment! I'd hate to give wrong information.

I think the main thing to know is that both streaming and downloading uses data and your friend needs to confirm that if you watch or download online stuff it won't go over her data allowance.

For example, at one stage we had a broadband package and a young nephew staying with us was using up all our monthly data allowance, so we upgraded to "Unlimited" and since then no messages from our provider warning that we are reaching our data usage limit!

NanKate Sun 19-Jan-20 17:44:56

Yes Grannyk I will tell our neighbour of my intention and check she has Unlimited.

Farmor15 Sun 19-Jan-20 18:12:41

NanKate if you are worried about using too much of your friend’s data, you could find some films etc on Netflix and download them onto iPad using own WiFi. Then watch them at her place. One thing I’ve found when watching Netflix on iPad is that volume using built in speaker is quite low. It’s probably ok for 1 person who could use headphones, but if 2 of you want to watch, it might be worthwhile bringing small Bluetooth speaker.

NanKate Mon 20-Jan-20 14:33:43

Thanks Far more useful information. I watch alone as DH isn’t into the tv much. I wear my earphones a lot as my hearing isn’t 100%.

I shall definitely download from Netflix and Amazon too.