Gransnet forums

Technology

Amazon Prime scam

(17 Posts)
toscalily Wed 22-Jan-20 11:14:45

This particular scam was highlighted yesterday on BBC1 "Rip Off Britain" . We record the programme and watch in the evening but can easily be watched iplayer. Just one of many scams to be aware of online & off. Just remember it is not being polite to listen to these people, put the phone down!

Nortsat46 Wed 22-Jan-20 08:48:02

Thank you for the warning Nanabas, I will be extra vigilant. ?

PamelaJ1 Wed 22-Jan-20 08:39:55

I do try to remember that any query with any company I deal with and have an online account with, has to be dealt with by logging into my account.

timetogo2016 Wed 22-Jan-20 08:35:07

My Aunt had a call from them yesterday she has never ordered from them she doesn`t/wouldn`t know how to tbh.
I and my Uncle told her to ALWAYS put the phone down and never give information to anyone.
I shall be calling her later to give her this info.
Thank you Nanabas.

Cunco Wed 22-Jan-20 08:27:09

I just Googled 'Amazon Prime Scam' and the screen was full of warnings, several linked to newspaper reports in the last couple of days, including The Express, The Mirror, Eastern Daily Press and Walesonline. These scammers have clearly had significant success, particularly after Christmas.

We are all targets. We have to dodge the bullet. Put the phone down and contact the retailer directly; but remember not to use your phone immediately afterwards because, if the scammer has not put his phone down, you may still be connected to him.

Grammaretto Wed 22-Jan-20 08:21:31

Hellish isn't it. I knew I once had Amazon prime but cancelled it so when I had the call I didn't twig immediately either. I had an email too but just deleted it.
I always think did I ask for this call? If the answer is no I say "sorry did I phone you?"

aggie Wed 22-Jan-20 08:17:55

I had an email saying I had joined and the first payment was due , but to click on the link to cancel ! I guessed that they wouldn’t make it this easy to cancel so sent the email to the scam folder

charliebrown Wed 22-Jan-20 08:12:04

Had a call yesterday from a woman with American accent stating there had been a problem with my Amazon account. I do not have one!

Shelmiss Wed 22-Jan-20 07:52:11

Yes I had 3 calls saying the same thing supposedly from Amazon last week. Because I knew that we had recently got rid of Prime’s free first month I put the phone down straight away. But they sound very real and it’s easy to get hooked by them.

NannyJan53 Wed 22-Jan-20 07:45:30

Glad you realised in time Nanabas I think these scammers work on the basis (as said upthread) that they will find the odd person they catch off guard

I am also very careful when ordering on Amazon, as it is so easy to sign up for Amazon Prime. End of November I did just that! They are making it harder and harder.

I let it run for 3 weeks as I had orders for Christmas. Then cancelled. I am hesitant to order now as they are making it virtually impossible to avoid clicking on the link to Prime.

TerriBull Wed 22-Jan-20 07:35:11

Nasty experience OP, but thank you for alerting us, it's always good to let others know about any scam.

I also inadvertently signed up for Amazon Prime over the Christmas period, so easily done, kept it going for a couple of weeks to get free deliveries. It's essential to cancel before that window expires otherwise Amazon wacks in their charges.

mumofmadboys Wed 22-Jan-20 07:07:01

I accidentally joined Amazon Prime but cancelled it immediately.

annep1 Wed 22-Jan-20 06:58:19

How terrible. I think you should maybe change all your passwords and set up extra security to be on the safe side, if you haven't already done so.

BBbevan Wed 22-Jan-20 06:26:33

Yes they rang twice yesterday. Awful American voice. I just put the phone down.

Cunco Tue 21-Jan-20 20:36:52

Don't beat yourself up. The scammers work on the basis they will find a few who are off-guard or under the weather. Just make sure everything is secure and remember for the next time. Sadly, there will probably be a next time when you can simply put the phone down on them.

PamelaJ1 Tue 21-Jan-20 20:32:46

Thank you.
Luck you realised in time.

Nanabas Tue 21-Jan-20 20:01:45

Has anyone else had the experience I had today? A phone call saying that I was due a refund as Amazon had been taking a subscription to Prime that I hadn't authorised As I have had trouble recently of subscribing in error( you have to actively opt out when ordering) I didnt realise immediately it was a scam.Im embarrassed to say I went along with it for a while going into my Amazon account to remove my credit card.so "no further payments can come out " Then I was transferred to the financial team so they could expedite the refund. When I was asked to go to a money transfer site I finally twigged and cut them off. I feel so stupid and all I can say is I have a heavy cold and my brain is even less sharp than usual. ! Be warned