Gransnet forums

Technology

Useful apps?

(16 Posts)
Chestnut Tue 18-Feb-20 17:40:44

I downloaded SkySafari to see the stars but I haven't got a compass on my phone so it doesn't work properly. ? I will try and get that sorted so I can move it round to see what's in the sky.

Chestnut Tue 18-Feb-20 17:35:34

MiniMoon Best app I've got my phone is "what3words". I live in a house that nobody can find unless they have been here before. I use what3words to give people directions to my house.
I thought what3words was good until my daughter showed me that you can do this through WhatsApp! In the message box just click the paperclip and you will see 'location'. You can send your current location (accurate to 8 metres) which will help them find your house. Or it can follow you around for 1hr or 8hrs as you move. It's brilliant! Very accurate. Obviously the recipient needs to be on WhatsApp too.

craftergran Tue 18-Feb-20 17:12:24

I don't think we can be accused of not embracing new technology smile

rosenoir Tue 18-Feb-20 16:57:25

I use Snorelab every night. It records my snoring and I can see if any remedies reduce it, they havent so far but for some reason I still record my very loud snoring.

dragonfly46 Tue 18-Feb-20 16:36:12

I use lots of apps. WhatsApp, google maps, Words with Friends, Find Friends, Facebook, Kindle, Stocard to name but a few.

H1954 Tue 18-Feb-20 16:30:04

I have what3words and First Aid apps on my phone. All free and they work when there's no signal!

MiniMoon Tue 18-Feb-20 16:25:23

Best app I've got my phone is "what3words". I live in a house that nobody can find unless they have been here before. I use what3words to give people directions to my house. This app saved the life of three girls list in a forest.
what3words.com/about-us/
I also have WhatsApp, I'm in a family group. Handy when we all need to talk about things or arrange get togethers.

craftergran Tue 18-Feb-20 15:19:56

Oh find the nearest loo app might be useful for DH.

Also like the sound of the star app.

kittylester Mon 17-Feb-20 11:00:17

I use lots of Apps. WhatsApp is a favourite but I also have Words with Friends, 7 little words, a weather app, a couple of news apps, a local news app, John Lewis and M&S, the long river company, find my nearest loo app and Rightmove!

ninathenana Mon 17-Feb-20 09:13:27

I too couldn't do without Whatsap the mobile signal where DD works is rubbish but we can use Whatsap.
I have a couple of games on my phone too but that's all.

rubysong Mon 17-Feb-20 09:03:11

When I got this tablet and DS1 helped me get started we downloaded some apps. He said, "I guarantee we will just have downloaded things you will never look at again." He was right. I was finding an app to show maps and looked at the reviews. The first one was written by DS2! After six years the tablet is running slow I can't download anything else.

JackyB Mon 17-Feb-20 08:57:21

I have a lunar/solar calendar app which tells me when sunrise and sunset is (anywhere in the world, also giving the coordinates.) Also tells the phase of the moon, and a load of other stuff I don't understand.

I have a couple of games, my bank app (only use it to check movements on my account, not for banking), apps for all the local supermarkets and transport services I regularly use. (Airlines and rail companies so I have my boarding card/tickets on the phone). Also an app that gives the prices of petrol at all petrol stations in the vicinity. (This is in Germany)

Otherwise I don't use them much; I often de-install them when I find I'm not using them. I'll be interested to see what others have.

Hetty58 Mon 17-Feb-20 08:35:26

The ones I use are an app and key fob that allows me to find my keys (or phone from the fob) and the video doorbell. Others I have tried but discarded.

Marydoll Mon 17-Feb-20 08:19:56

Thanks Espee, you have just reminded me that I used to have a star map, so I've just downloaded it to my tablet.

I too couldn't do without Whatsapp. Our mobile phone bill used to be enormous on holidays abroad, as I was always checking in with my children.

The other ones I find useful are the local taxi firm apps. If we phone, it takes ages to get one, use the app and they are there quickly.

Esspee Mon 17-Feb-20 07:53:39

I used to have an app on my phone that identified the stars. I really loved using it but had to remove a number of apps to free up space on my phone.
My OH has an app which identifies all ships in the vicinity and Mumsnet had a thread recently where people were tracking all the aircraft in UK airspace during storm Ciara and letting us know how many attempts were being made to land and where flights were being diverted to.
The app I could not do without is WhatsApp. Being able to make phone calls, video calls, and send texts knowing when they were delivered and when read completely free of charge is a complete game changer for me.

craftergran Wed 12-Feb-20 20:32:26

I have downloaded many apps over the past few years, to my smartphone. Most get tried out and deleted because they were not what I was looking for or don't work in the way I wanted them to.

I have had several (free) plant/tree identifier apps but not found a really good one yet. I have an aurora app to warn me when we might be able to see one. I've also tried two canal apps which give you a bit of information on the local history as you walk the canals - those were good.

On the news yesterday I heard of another (free) app, which might help us locate the car when visiting towns we are not familiar with or parked in a huge car park.

Do you use apps? Which type of apps do you use. You might not be able to mention their actual names because I am not sure if that is permitted.