Gransnet forums

Technology

Help with WhatsApp and data use.

(15 Posts)
shysal Sat 04-Apr-20 15:46:58

I have a free app on my phone called Speed Cleaner. It gives me the opportunity to cut down on the junk, battery power and space I use. One of the sections is for WhatsApp clean up. I have been sent a lot of Covid19 related funny videos and memes recently so have deleted them all.

Pikachu Sat 04-Apr-20 15:24:35

Make sure you only turn your mobile data on when you have to. Otherwise just use your home Wifi.

Summerlove Sat 04-Apr-20 14:41:23

Have you got an iPhone or an android?

You can go into your cellular data on settings to see which app is using all your Data.

I reset mine monthly to more accurately track

www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-check-data-usage-on-an-iphone/%3famp

Cherrytree59 Sat 04-Apr-20 14:33:38

Thank you all.?
I think you are right Willow another app may be using data.

I will also check out the 3 dots to delete messages etcsmile

I am thankful that I had the notification warning and also had put in place the £10 limit.

At least I won't get a big bill shock in five days time?.

Willow500 Sat 04-Apr-20 14:01:42

Meant to say you need to be in the particular chat you want to clear!

Willow500 Sat 04-Apr-20 14:01:05

Luckygirl if you click on the 3 little dots in the top right hand corner a menu pops up - go to more at the bottom and you will see clear chat in there.

Luckygirl Sat 04-Apr-20 13:49:00

I have been using WhatsApp for ages, but still have not worked out how to delete message, of which there are loads stacked up.

Willow500 Sat 04-Apr-20 13:46:00

You can also use WhatsApp on your pc - I have it on mine as well as my phone as I can type faster and better on a keyboard. You just need to make sure your phone is connected at the same time (via wifi)

There could be something else in your phone using your data - make sure you have apps set to only update when using wifi and turn off any that you don't actually need.

I found that a music app I had was set to download all the music from my pc and used all my data one month then ran up a large bill!

Pittcity Sat 04-Apr-20 13:42:17

As others have said turn off data roaming and switch to WiFi. You can set your phone to automatically switch to WiFi at home and use data roaming at home.
Consider switching to Virgin as some of their plans (less than £10 a month) include unlimited WhatsApp, Facebook messenger and Twitter thus saving your data.

SpringyChicken Sat 04-Apr-20 13:37:42

As long as you are signed in to wifi and have the wifi symbol on your screen, you won't use your data allowance.

You can use WhatsApp without wifi but then you will use up your data allowance.

Cherrytree59 Sat 04-Apr-20 13:36:57

Thank you both, smile

I have checked my phone and it shows that I am connected to my home wifi.

Am I correct in saying that
if my mobile is connected to my home internet and the mobile data on my mobile is switched off, then I should not be using any data via my mobile provider

MarydolI I have only been using WhatsApp for the last two weeks, so probably not many items in folder. But I will keep take your advice, thank you.

Marydoll Sat 04-Apr-20 13:12:49

When I use What's App on my phone I make sure I'm logged into our home WiFi. The same on holiday, I log onto the free hotel Wifi.
I do this all the time and have never gone over my bill.

Another tip, empty the Whats App folders on your phone or you will eventually run out of memory.

I do mine by plugging my phone into my PC and first of all, delete all the items in my sent folder. You would be amazed at how much memory they use up.

PamGeo Sat 04-Apr-20 13:00:47

Go into the settings on your phone and check what internet connection you are logged onto.
If you are out and about (not the case at the moment) but when you are, log into the free internet offered if you are using WhatsApp.
This should make a huge difference, I've used WhatsApp for years and my contract phone is only about £16 per month.

Cherrytree59 Sat 04-Apr-20 12:53:59

Bump.

Cherrytree59 Sat 04-Apr-20 11:57:55

Morning allsmile

Last week I put WhatsApp on my mobile as I wanted to keep in touch with my grandchildren.

Daughter and my sister also installed WhatsApp on to their mobiles.

This morning I had a message from 02 to say I had used all my data for the month.

I have a £10 limit added to prevent a large bill at the end of the month.

I can only assume that it the data usage is from my WhatsApp use.

I would be very grateful if any GNers could explain how they use WhatsApp and how the deal with data use.

I have googled, but don't seem to be getting anywhere.

TIA