Gransnet forums

Technology

Track and Trace technology

(6 Posts)
jeanie99 Sat 02-May-20 03:04:06

How does this work, and is for me and hubby who only go out for exercise.
We both have IPhones but not the most modern.
We are both in our 70s with health conditions.
Advice and suggestions please.
thank you

Davidhs Sat 02-May-20 07:51:55

It tracks your phone position on GPS so as long as you have the phone with you your exact location is known. Many modern cars also have this feature available.

It’s a feature that is useful to track kids as long as they aren’t smart enough to disable it. You can also use it to let all your Facebook friends or Whattapp contacts where you are 24/7, it’s not for me my location is off.

rubysong Sat 02-May-20 09:49:29

Will this disadvantage those who do not have a smartphone? We have non internet cast off phones passed on from DS1 and Ddil. To be honest we hardly ever take them with us. For many years we lived where the coverage was poor and we never got into the habit of carrying them. My sister is the same and doesn't have any form of computer at all. Does this mean we will have to stay at home longer than everyone else?

mawetew Sat 20-Jun-20 23:23:18

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

B9exchange Sat 20-Jun-20 23:38:46

It has just been abandoned. It works using bluetooth to identify other phones with bluetooth switched on nearby, and stores the identity of those phones. Then if the user tests positive for the virus, the phones stored will receive alerts telling them they have been exposed, and to self isolate for 14 days.

Problem is it doesn't work at all well with iPhones, and with android phones it is not that reliable either. In areas with a lot of metal, such as on a bus, it won't pick up the signals.

Government now seeking to use Apple and Google technology to try and make it work, rather then trying to create their own. I wouldn't hold your breath.

paddyanne Sun 21-Jun-20 09:05:21

That'll be AFTER Cummings mate got £120 Million pounds off Bojo to "develope" the app?