Gransnet forums

Technology

Today's heartsink task

(63 Posts)
Jane10 Thu 14-May-20 08:03:35

Just discovered that my mobile phone is almost out of contract and also been notified that my TV package is due to be renegotiated. Woke up with a feeling of dread at what I'll need to be doing. Either struggling through lots of screens and 'choices' or, if I'm lucky, actually talking to someone in a call centre. All the while I'll know that somehow the wonderful deals I'll, no doubt, be offered will cost more and be complicated to set up. All I want is to remain on the same terms as previously and I don't want all the bells and whistles I'll be told are vital.
Just ranting. Ignore me.

sodapop Sat 16-May-20 08:45:05

I have to start getting all the paperwork together ready to complete our French tax forms.
I really must stop putting it off.

Chestnut Sat 16-May-20 00:06:46

You can't do better than the Smarty 2Gb plan which is only £5 a month for unlimited phone calls and texts, plus home internet. £7 if you use the internet out of the house. You keep your old phone number too. Details on the website:
smarty.co.uk/

Hetty58 Fri 15-May-20 23:05:32

It's ridiculous how we have to keep swapping providers to get a better deal.

I try to do it all online, after checking several comparison sites, but sometimes, given patience, I'll phone my present provider and tell them what deal I'm swapping to.

Often, they'll offer a better deal to keep their customer. I then end up annoyed at having been ripped off, for months, by paying more than that!

GreenGran78 Fri 15-May-20 22:51:54

It’s well worth checking sites like Quidco when looking for new deals. My best sign-up was with BT, when I got £100 cash back for going through Quidco, plus £100 in vouchers from BT.
You don’t always get better deals, but it’s worth checking it out first.

Thisismyname1953 Fri 15-May-20 21:49:49

I wouldn’t get your mobile with SKY . Mine is and it’s great until I want to set up a new payment through internet banking . The bank always needs to phone me back to do a check but my phone won’t let them . It doesn’t ring . It won’t accept calls from my bank at all ! I’ve spoke to the bank and I’ve spoken to SKY with no resolve at all . No problem when I was with O2

Jane10 Fri 15-May-20 20:23:07

Once you get a smartphone you'll kick yourself for not getting one sooner. Seriously they are extremely useful. I'm posting this on one now. I've just checked the news and weather on it, attached a photo to another post and shared a funny clip via WhatsApp to a friend. Go on. Stick your toe in the smartphone water or let your family get you one and set it up for you.

Grandmama Fri 15-May-20 20:00:04

I have a basic Nokia - bought last year in case of emergencies after DH came out of hospital, my first mobile. I have a monthly GiffGaff goody bag, £6. No contract. Absolutely perfect although because of the lockdown I've been under pressure from a few people to buy a smartphone so I can be in whatsapp groups. But the Nokia + Giffgaff suits me fine.

JaneRn Fri 15-May-20 17:54:00

I am in awe of all you techie people! I have a mobile phone which, much to my grandchildren's disgust, rarely use and have to be reminded to take it with me when I go out. I still prefer to use my landline when I am at home - free calls with broadband package - and frankly I am happy not to be always available.

I am sure mobile phones are a great invention, but I am appalled when I see people come into a restaurant and the first thing they do even before ordering is to take out their phone and start looking at it, ignoring their companion(s), Very rude. Is there something so important that it cannot wait? Just as bad is the "I'm on the train" messages, always shouted loudly so that everyone can here. I once had to listen to lurid details of a passenger's love life for nearly an hour. Too much information!

As you will gather, I am a fully paid up member of the Dinosaur Club!

Jane10 Fri 15-May-20 17:28:29

I mostly use my phone and tablet at home so use home WiFi. Cuts down on need for data. WhatsApp is great for free video calls etc.

Saggi Fri 15-May-20 17:21:13

I’m with you Grannynanywanny...... SIM only and £10 a month. Brought my smart phone four years ago ...pay my £10 a month..... never hear from them . Luvvly - jubbly!! Will need new phone soon... will do the same. I get 5000 texts ( never used them all).... 1000 talk time(never used them) and 16 GB data... which I was using. So brought myself an I-pad with I28 GB,for the fun stuff.... and use mobile for proper stuff.

Sawsage2 Fri 15-May-20 16:44:27

I have 3 mobile phones from Tesco on contract, 1 for me, 1 for granddaughter and 1 grandson. If I have a problem I just go into Tesco phoneshop, they are open. No trouble with them.

Jane10 Fri 15-May-20 12:04:35

Nannan2 it didn't take long to get through to BT but once they've got you it seems to take ages of meaningless waffle somehow. I pinned the man down to exactly what it would cost and why and took notes too for later when I'm bound to have to go through the complaints procedure. Sigh.

Soozikinzi Fri 15-May-20 11:37:52

I also hate this job especially since my husband used to be brilliant at this type of thing before he had his first stroke ten years ago so I wasn’t used to dealing with this stuff . I have found sky virgin etc all have live chat where you type the discussion. Well I’m an absolute whizz at this and have got some brilliant deals this way ! I don’t know why but I find it much easier you can kind of do it while watching TV or something else it’s not as annoying at all . Maybe you would also find it easier?

Grannynannywanny Fri 15-May-20 11:11:52

Shadieladie that’s horrendous!

There’s more than enough to worry about these days without getting in a mess that wasn’t your fault.

I hope you are able to sort it all out.

shadieladie Fri 15-May-20 11:10:24

Note - IF THE SMALL PRINT IS SO IMPORTANT - WHY IS IT small?)

icanhandthemback Fri 15-May-20 11:05:20

If you don't need a new phone, just get a monthly pay as you go contract. We have ours through Tesco's and it is cheaper than many others. For everyone in the household who is on it, we receive a discount or added data and you earn points on it too. They are just 02 under a different name so you get really good coverage.
We moved from Virgin to Freeview for TV and NOWTV for phone and broadband. It is the third of the cost, not noticeably different in speed as Virginmedia never gave the speeds they advertised. I don't think we'll ever go back to Virgin again.

shadieladie Fri 15-May-20 11:02:52

I've been with EE for years with an IPhone 5 (version 10) - then just before lockdown, had email from my bank HSBC saying unless I upgraded to a version 12, I would not be able to access telephone banking ( my bank had stopped sending statements , so relied on my 3" X 2" screen to check on my balances etc
My daughter found a deal with Tesco Mobile - IPhone 6s - 5000 minutes, 5000 texts £11.99 a month - duly cancelled EE, got pac no, said I wanted to keep same phone no, had a message you can use your phone from that day - a week later had email from EE saying had now got a bill for £254.00 !!! (That included a 95 minute phone call to HSBC in India as passwords then didn't work ) So phoned Tesco Mobile, who said due to the virus worldwide, wouldn't be activating the pac no until the following Tuesday - 13 days - nobody wants to take responsibility for this bill, so I may end up in court after the lockdown, am on a pension, so can't afford it. Stress levels were mega - who cares!!! Certainly not the person who made the decision that I and doubtless thousands of others quarantined and having to rely on a card instead of getting the cash out - and trying to remember how much was in my account with direct debits going out and pensions going in. Banks were closed and having to cancel direct debit to EE involved 74 minutes to the Philippines - say no more - needed a stiff drink after all that

Grannynannywanny Fri 15-May-20 10:57:58

Nannan2 Yes I phoned Virgin a few days ago and they answered fairly promptly. The prerecorded message said extremely busy, most issues can be dealt with online etc to encourage me to hang up.

My call was answered in 15 mins by a very helpful agent working from home. He renewed my contract and added another £3 to the already generous loyalty discount they applied last year.

So I would say it’s worthwhile making that call.

rowanflower0 Fri 15-May-20 10:56:14

My mobile contract also ran out over lockdown.
I had been paying a lot more than friends for a sim-
only contract, but was locked in to it. I arranged a new contract with Tesco, online - they sent the phone - a nice modern Motorola and it is costing a lot less than before - just £9 a month- they could not have made it easier and arranged for me to keep my number.

Nannan2 Fri 15-May-20 10:42:52

By ringing you can get good deals, or get problems sorted,but i think im using far more mobile credit having to ring all these numbers as most are premium rates!hmm

Nannan2 Fri 15-May-20 10:38:41

Was it easy to get through to BT jane10?- im dreading it.i spent most of other day on phone trying to trace/get back holiday refund which had been refunded to credit card i had already paid off! And a retail shopping company AND my bank (both three times) as theyd took a very high payment twice for same item!(an iphone,so not cheap!)sad

Nannan2 Fri 15-May-20 10:31:37

Or yes to itunes if its an iphone.

Nannan2 Fri 15-May-20 10:30:37

Photos on your phone should stay on your phone,i think.ìn your storage.or save to cloud first.

Nannan2 Fri 15-May-20 10:28:28

Yes i did do house contents insurance online,and got a cheaper deal,as my old one wanted much more this yr,and i hadnt even made a claim!Cheek!grin

Scottiebear Fri 15-May-20 10:26:21

I recently renewed my mobile phone contract over the phone. Did take a little longer to get phone answered due to reduced staff. But otherwise very straightforward and staff very helpful.