Gransnet forums

Technology

Beware of this scam

(15 Posts)
Grannynannywanny Fri 15-May-20 12:21:02

I received a text last week which on the surface looked normal and appeared to be from my mobile provider.

It said my monthly payment hadn’t been processed and asked me to click on the link to rectify.

I knew it had been so I just ignored it. However I’ve read this morning it’s yet another scam circulating and clicking on the link can lead to theft from your bank account.

Thankfully I wasn’t in dopey mode or I might have been lured into clicking it!

Oldwoman70 Fri 15-May-20 12:26:53

Unfortunately there will always be the scumbags who will try something like this. I never click on links in emails or even open them. If it is from my bank or other institution I deal with I contact them direct to ask if it is genuine.

harrigran Fri 15-May-20 12:28:38

There are some horrible acams out there at present. Last weel I had six calls in one day to my mobile purporting to be from the Inland revenue, they were telling me if I did not pay my tax bill immediately I would be arrested and taken to court. It is obvious they were not familiar with British law because they would be taking me to the county court house hmm

Toadinthehole Fri 15-May-20 12:28:57

Our local radio have been running adverts about scams since lockdown. It seems if you’re asked to click, or go on any link, chances are it’s a scam.

Susie42 Mon 20-Jul-20 12:29:41

There's a scam email going purporting to be from TV Licensing saying that now the over-75s have to pay for a licence they should click on to pay up. I phoned TV Licensing and was told that they would never send such an email and they would be writing to everyone affected by the new licencing rules.

EllanVannin Mon 20-Jul-20 12:38:55

Absolutely shocking isn't it ? Imagine the poor souls who'll be taken in then finding their bank accounts empty ? It's wicked !

3nanny6 Mon 20-Jul-20 12:41:00

Last week I received a text saying the bank wanted to speak to me, in fact they sent two. These things often happen and I always ignored them as I thought it would only be a scam.
I then had a call on the landline which was a recorded one saying the bank wanted to speak to me. I thought I best call them as I had now had a few messages.
They wanted to know about a payment that was going out and they said it had been blocked for the time being.
They said they noticed because I spend carefully and it looked like I had bought two things lately and it might have been someone using my card. The amount was really quite small and I was a bit surprised they did not pay the amounts out but it all got sorted out and was okay.
I suppose I should be grateful they took an interest I felt embarrassed I had ignored them thinking it was a scam.

Kalu Mon 20-Jul-20 12:52:14

I had a scam phone message last week from a London number telling me HM Revenue were aware of my tax avoidance! IfI didn’t call this number immediately I would have the police calling at my door to arrest me!! Obvious to me it was a scam which I passed on to HM revenue who appreciated the details I had forwarded, phone number and a copy of the voice mail.

It is so upsetting to think though that these low lives disregard what impact their calls have on vulnerable people. Despicable!

MellowYellow Mon 20-Jul-20 12:54:51

I had an email, ostensibly from HMRevenue, with loads of spelling mistakes in it! Obviously I ignored it.

PinkCakes Mon 20-Jul-20 12:57:02

I had the same thing last week, from someone claiming to be from THREE (my provider). I know what date my Direct Debit goes out, so I ignored the text and notified Three.

Greyduster Tue 21-Jul-20 08:36:13

I had a text message purporting to be from PayPal saying my account had been suspended and asking me to click on a link. I knew they wouldn’t send texts from an overseas phone number, so I deleted it immediately. They have the capacity to unnerve one though!

Alexa Tue 21-Jul-20 09:48:22

Thanks for posting this Grannynannywammy.

Alexa Tue 21-Jul-20 09:49:12

And thanks to responders too!

Happygirl79 Tue 21-Jul-20 09:53:11

Thanks OP
Always contact the organisation the scammers pretend to be from via their official website or telephone number
Never click on any link

Lovetopaint037 Sun 20-Sep-20 02:59:11

I had that at one time, supposedly from EE. As I am pay as you go I ignored it.