Gransnet forums

Technology

Help me I’m confused

(7 Posts)
mrsmopp Sun 07-Jun-20 19:41:49

I have messaging and messenger on my new phone and I am confused because I don’t understand the difference,
Which do you use? Should I keep one and get rid of the other
It’s easier to just send a text or an email, surely?
I’m getting too old for all this!

pensionpat Sun 07-Jun-20 19:49:18

Messenger is part of Face Book. You can message people who are not friends, either from their page, or in the list of people who come up when you press the Messenger icon (like a bolt of lightning). You can also ring them, with visual contact if you wish,without needing to know their number.

Messaging is texting. It’s your preference which to use.

There are so many ways to communicate, it is hard to keep up.

Hope this helps.

MiniMoon Sun 07-Jun-20 20:48:29

Do you have Facebook messenger? If so, it will probably have been transferred to your phone when you set it up.
Messaging will be the phone's in built messaging app.

rosenoir Sun 07-Jun-20 21:25:28

You need Facebook messenger if you want to message someone from Market Place or anyone else that is on Facebook that you have no other contact info for.

tanith Sun 07-Jun-20 21:30:08

I have both, messenger for FB contacts and messaging for those not on FB it works fine with both.

mrsmopp Mon 08-Jun-20 11:54:21

Ok thanks all - there are so many ways to contact people now with WhatsApp as well, my head is reeling. Must be getting old....

Doodledog Mon 08-Jun-20 12:32:37

Hi mrsmopp
It is confusing isn't it? My mum struggles with all the different terms you need to learn to use the internet, too (and don't get me started about passwords!).

Something you might like to consider is that if you want to send a photo over Messaging (the text one) it will probably cost you money, but Messenger is free.

WhatsApp is a bit of a half way house, as you don't need to be on Facebook to access it, and you can also send photos free in that. You can use it to set up groups so that one message goes to everyone in the group. A lot of people have family groups and find them very useful. You can download WhatsApp free by going to the App Store on your phone.