Gransnet forums

Technology

Disappearing Broadband

(16 Posts)
MrsEggy Fri 12-Jun-20 08:58:54

Anyone else finding their broadband connection is almost disappearing during lockdown? Not just laptop but tablet and phone. Is it because many people, old and young are studying, working or playing on line? I have to sit almost on top of the router to get a good signal.

Oldwoman70 Fri 12-Jun-20 09:04:05

I find my signal is getting slower. I am with BT and just by coincidence I keep receiving emails and letters from them suggesting I upgrade to get faster broadband (annoyingly I am in an area which isn't connected to their "faster broadband")

Jane10 Fri 12-Jun-20 09:26:32

I upgraded to their so called superfast broadband. Can't say I noticed a difference. I wonder if it'll improve once we're back to a (sort of) normal.

JessK Fri 12-Jun-20 09:50:35

Mine drops out quite a lot, usually when I'm half way through doing something. Sooo annoying!

EllanVannin Fri 12-Jun-20 09:58:36

It's been on a " go slow " for a while now as I've noticed on the laptop that there have been a few connection problems over the weeks that knocks everything out of kilter.

Staff shortages being the cause of course as because many who work in the centres/ terminals are from India and they have understandably been in fear for their lives with this virus.

tanith Fri 12-Jun-20 10:26:22

I’m with BT and thankfully rarely have a problem and certainly not lately, it’s why I’m loathe to change although cost is very high and I could get it much cheaper but everyone I ask who is with ‘other’ providers seem to have one problem or another. I consider it my only indulgence as I have a smart tv and use my broadband a lot.

EllanVannin Fri 12-Jun-20 10:27:57

Speaking of out of kilter, I just went onto my crime forum and as I highlighted it I got a list of unsavoury Chinese forums ? It's not the first time that I've had Chinese butting in. I wonder why ? Is it because my hub is a Huawai ?

Jane10 Fri 12-Jun-20 10:48:11

I had to phone BT yesterday as my email was migrating to their system from Yahoo. The online 'help' made things 10 times worse so I phoned the number given in their email telling me I needed to change. Big surprise. I got straight through to a nice lady in a call centre in Exeter who was as surprised as me as she didn't know their number was being given out. It's not any more. Anyway she talked me through it all and was very patient. It's all done now and it works.
In other BT news I renegotiated my phone, broadband and TV package a few weeks ago and got a much improved package for £10 a month less!

EllanVannin Fri 12-Jun-20 11:35:33

I've got a new package too including a box, unopened on my living room table, referring to the fibre broadband. I daren't open it because I know once I start fixing it all up I'll make a hash of it.
Not only that, I'd been billed £60 for something I hadn't asked for ! So I'd rather it go back from whence it came.

Jane10 Fri 12-Jun-20 12:06:35

I had to get a 'man' in to set up mine. Luckily DD knew a person. He and his assistant set it all up for me but there's no chance I could have done it myself. I'd always managed in the past but this time no!
Can you phone and play the poor old lady card? That can work well otherwise maybe a family member could help once they're allowed back in of course. Persevere. It is worth it!

dragonfly46 Fri 12-Jun-20 12:10:22

Ours has actually got faster. We are with Sky.

Missfoodlove Sat 13-Jun-20 08:22:18

Download a free speed test, you can do his on your mobile phone, it takes just a few seconds.

You may find different parts of your home have better signal, you can always buy an extender.

The other likely cause is the band, if yourself and neighbours are on the same band it could be overloaded.

In your computers settings you can easily try another band then test the speed and see if there is an improvement.

Missfoodlove Sat 13-Jun-20 08:24:23

This link should explain it better than I can!!!

www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/network-wifi/how-change-wi-fi-channel-3325316/?amp

Pittcity Sat 13-Jun-20 08:39:56

I found that my broadband was OK but my old laptop was the cause of signal fluctuations. I treated myself to a new tablet and have had no problem since while DH is still asking if the broadband is down regularly.

Jane10 Sat 13-Jun-20 09:42:43

Our broadband is noticeably better on my tablet, TV and PC than my, now elderly, mobile phone! I'm not for changing it yet though now I finally know how to work it!

Callistemon Sat 13-Jun-20 10:46:32

We upgraded, or at least they told us they'd upgraded us, but I can't see much difference.
I am having to reconnect many times and today it is particularly slow and jumpy.

Our devices are fairly new.