Gransnet forums

Technology

DropBox

(9 Posts)
Rufus2 Sun 09-Aug-20 12:48:00

Hi! I'm having trouble copying a video file into an email. My mentor suggests it could be too large, something I'd forgotten from Win 95 days; now she suggests D'Box. to overcome this!? Any one have any tips and tricks!?
Ta!

geekesse Sun 09-Aug-20 13:07:58

Yes, I use Dropbox - the instructions are clear and it’s easy to use. You need to sign up, but for most ordinary use, it’s free.

If you only want to use it for photos, another alternative is Flickr, equally easy to use.

Shelmiss Sun 09-Aug-20 14:01:48

Another Dropbox user here....it’s easy to share your files and folders and video files with another user. You just need to give them permission to access that particular file once you have uploaded it and away you go!

Rufus2 Sun 09-Aug-20 14:15:55

give them permission to access that particular file
Many thanks! Will give it a go tomorrow. I was hoping to copy /paste it to a GN "Chat thread" for the enjoyment of all to see in these troubled timesgrin.
I foresee problems, but I might be surprised. hmm
Cheers

geekesse Sun 09-Aug-20 14:43:02

Rufus2, please be careful what you put here on GN. There is no privacy in this forum, so if GN users can access your Dropbox file, so can anyone else. One of the great things about Dropbox is that you can give individuals permission and bar everyone else, which is great for family sharing etc.

Rufus2 Mon 10-Aug-20 12:55:44

please be careful what you put here on GN
geekesse Thanks for the warning. I didn't get a round tuit today!. As someone said, "the best laid plans o' mice and men gang... etc." grin
I managed to do some "de Bono" thinking on something else involving copy/paste, by-passing the GN messaging route.
Shellmiss Banning undesirables is a comforting thought!
Like drawing up a blacklist! Who goes and who stays! grin

Wish me luck with Dropbox!
Thanks again
Cheers

guhan Sat 03-Oct-20 21:50:10

I wish you good luck with Dropbox ! That's what I use since a lot of time now.
www.minimilitia.mobi/ www.applock.ooo/

NotSpaghetti Sat 03-Oct-20 23:52:20

If I'm just transferring bigish files I use "wetransfer" as in We Transfer- its totally free and you get a message when it's downloaded.

Easier than bothering with dropbox just for the odd file.

Good luck

NotSpaghetti Sat 03-Oct-20 23:54:37

wetransfer.com/

You don't need a premium account. Just click "send a file"- in fact you don't need an account at all.
Easy.