Gransnet forums

Technology

I pad changing what I type

(7 Posts)
Sparkling Fri 18-Sep-20 06:51:40

Very often typing on my I pad, checking as I go, when I press send I find several typos that were not there. I wish there was a way to stop this. I have been told it's not possible, but it happens.

Nortsat Fri 18-Sep-20 08:54:30

Is it the predictive text Sparkling?
If so you can turn it off.

Go to settings and click on general,
then choose keyboard and you’ll see ‘predictive’ in the list. You can just turn it off.

I sometimes get some wacky alternatives and it can be very irritating.

henryjames34 Wed 04-Nov-20 07:14:28

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Lovetopaint037 Fri 06-Nov-20 09:24:15

How ungrateful! It is trying to help us poor old things grrrrrr

Elegran Fri 06-Nov-20 09:49:08

Those predictive text algorhythms have strange ideas about what it was you were typing. They are obsessed with sexual imagery and fashionable newspeak words!

Lolo81 Fri 06-Nov-20 11:21:31

Normally on apple when you are typing there are 3 options given above the keyboard for the word you are attempting to type. The Americanised spelling drives me bonkers and also changing of place names, but when you type said word you can choose the version above the keyboard on the left hand side and it will appear exactly as you have typed it. Also the more you use a word when typing the system will learn it and no longer autocorrect it.

Elegran Fri 06-Nov-20 11:53:00

When I type on the PC, I am looking at the letters on the physical keyboard and spelling them right. If I look up at what the predictive text is suggesting, I type mistakes. What I hate is the way it can just assume that it knows what I wanted to type and changes my version to its own.