Gransnet forums

Technology

Paypal

(11 Posts)
ExD Sun 15-Nov-20 10:49:30

I got an email from this do you think it spam?

[email protected]<nonojoshaehae6

:....it was telling me someone has used my account. And saying I should log in then click the link provided.

I don't use PayPal much.

EllanVannin Sun 15-Nov-20 10:52:15

Don't reply to it, delete it.

EllanVannin Sun 15-Nov-20 10:54:40

It's not a PayPal email. In fact, forward it to PayPal then they can deal with it in case it crops up with someone else. I've done this in the past.

Dibbydod Sun 15-Nov-20 10:55:50

Please don’t do anything with it whatsoever, it’s a scam ! ! !

Petalpop Sun 15-Nov-20 11:02:22

Scam. When I first used Paypal I received a few dodgy looking requests and I forwarded them on the Paypal. I never reply to anything receiving a reply I always make my own way to their website and log in.

Chewbacca Sun 15-Nov-20 11:02:54

After receiving a couple of similar scam emails 're my PayPal account, I decided to set up an extra level of security. Now, when I want to pay anything via PayPal, they send me a one time code straight to my mobile and I have 5 minutes to use it on the transaction before it deletes. I dare say someone will find away around that eventually but, so far, it's added a little more security to online transactions.

Dibbydod Sun 15-Nov-20 11:08:06

There are an awful lot of scam emails circulating around , including Pay Pal , Amazon , Apple , , I’ve even had couple scam emails saying that I’d ordered items from a online outlet , one was for a tub chair costing £350 the other was for a size 8 dress costing £125 , both saying that there was a problem with my payment card and needed to amend it so they could send me the goods , that was a definite scam as the outlet didn’t even exist .
These emails look so much like the ‘ real ‘ thing it’s very hard to differentiate, but, think we all need to be on our guard and double and triple check before clicking on any links .
Same thing with telephone scams , I just tell them , in a calm but meaningful voice , to either delete my phone number off their list or I’ll report them to the authorities next time they call ....works every time ...

M0nica Mon 16-Nov-20 09:08:01

I agree with petalpop. Whenever you get an email that you think looks suspicious, just do a search and find the official website and then inquire through that. In this case the source of the email <nonojoshaehae6, is a clear indication that the email does not come from PayPal.

Marydoll Mon 16-Nov-20 09:39:02

Firstly, Paypal use your name when contacting you, scammers often send a generic email, not addressed to a specific person

Never click on the link, but first delete the email, block the sender then log into your Paypal account and contact Paypal directly.
Like others, I now get a code sent to my phone. A bit of a faff, but worth the hassle.

Jane10 Mon 16-Nov-20 10:05:15

What 'authorities' could you possibly report cold calls to Dibbydod? Nobody is interested. TPS doesn't work for foreign callers or auto diallers. Only call blocking helps.

ExD Mon 16-Nov-20 20:15:36

Thanks for confirming my doubts, I've done as advised and forwarded it to paypal, and deleted it.
Its getting worse isn't it? All these scams and phone calls are turning me into a suspicious person which is unsettling