Gransnet forums

Technology

Two DAB radios have died.

(10 Posts)
Luckygirl Sun 06-Dec-20 22:24:45

The problem I have with them is the tuning - it seems to dodge about when I am scrolling through. Very annoying!

Esspee Sun 06-Dec-20 19:03:29

The reception on DAB radio in Scotland is appalling. We notice it when outwith the central belt area and always take our own music with us on a memory stick.

BlueBelle Sun 06-Dec-20 19:01:28

This is the whole problem and a big bug bear with me when they make things with sealed plug units Thats what was wrong with my Roberts Dab radio but it still only lived a year or so after they gave me a new lead and plug
I don’t find DABs to be half as reliable as the old radios unless you buy an expensive one

lemongrove Sun 06-Dec-20 18:52:15

I have ditched three DAB radios and gone back to good old analog.

Luckygirl Sun 06-Dec-20 16:48:38

Ah.....can't do that as they are adaptor plug units; maybe I can get new leads. I will do a search.

Luckygirl Sun 06-Dec-20 16:42:38

Ah - now that is a thought! There was a fuse that blew last week for unknown reason - I put the switch up and all has been well; but you could be right that the fuse might have gone in the plugs or adaptors. I will see if they open.

Thank you for that.

Otherwise I will just talk nicely to them. grin

Septimia Sun 06-Dec-20 16:33:19

Yes, definitely check the plugs - both the fuses and the connections inside if you can. Some plugs are fixed on the cable so that you can't do that, though.

When in my teens I had a record player that frequently refused to function until I'd opened up the plug and closed it again - I didn't even touch the connections. It was obviously just attention-seeking.

Squiffy Sun 06-Dec-20 14:33:42

Have the fuses blown in the radios’ plugs? - rather than in the fuse box.

midgey Sun 06-Dec-20 13:43:12

Try YouTube! According to my son the answer to most problems is there somewhere!

Luckygirl Sun 06-Dec-20 13:04:04

I have two DAB radios in my home; and they have both suddenly stopped working, in the sense that they do not switch on at all - it is not a tuning problem; no lights come on as I might expect - they both seem to be dead.

I have tried plugging them in in different sockets in different rooms in case it is a fault on that circuit - all to no avail. And all the fuses in the box are still on.

What am I missing here? I cannot think of anything else to try.

This is when I really do miss my OH as this was his big hobby - he built radios, TVs, computers etc. He would have known what is wrong in a flash! But I have run out of ideas.

Any brainwaves gratefully received!