Gransnet forums

Technology

I phones and inpads and google

(12 Posts)
Sparkling Tue 15-Dec-20 07:16:31

I thought I knew a bit about my devices but it appears I know little. I have an email account with gmail, but received a message yesterday stating their new policy is going to charge for storage. This was news to me I only use it for e mail, keep no more than about 20 e mails at most. It's all gobblygook to me is anyone able to help. Also do I need I cloud god anything other than photos, I just browse on my devices.

Sparkling Tue 15-Dec-20 07:17:16

Sorry not I god but I cloud

Calendargirl Tue 15-Dec-20 07:26:57

I know less than you Sparkling.

I miss DS popping in since March. He always tinkered about with my I pad, deleting stuff not needed and keeping it up to date.

Must get a few lessons from him when he is actually allowed to visit us properly again.

Should say, I love my I pad and am fine with it as long as it is all working ok. Bit like the car really!

BlueBelle Tue 15-Dec-20 08:30:48

Sure it’s not a scam Sparkiling doesn’t sound right

aggie Tue 15-Dec-20 08:54:19

I agree, it looks like a scam

petra Tue 15-Dec-20 09:00:25

You get 15gb with a gmail a/c. Unless your taking and storing an awful lot of photos and videos no way are you using up more than your allowance.
All the info you need is online.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 15-Dec-20 10:56:14

I browse on my laptop sometimes but mostly on my mobile phone. I got a big message which took up almost the entire screen on Saturday and try as I might I couldn't get it to go away. As luck would have it my nephew called by with a Christmas card so I asked him from a safe distance what it meant and could he get rid of it, please?
"Of course" he replied - they're just updating, we've all had this. I'd previously tapped the screen with no effect - he just 'clicked' on it and away it went - within a nanosecond.

AmberSpyglass Tue 15-Dec-20 11:04:25

Longterm reader, first time poster - they’re just altering their terms of service slightly, so if you don’t really use it then just ignore it. I keep most of my stuff on Google Drive so I also had a reminder that I only have 30% of storage space left, but that was a different email.

So not spam, but not anything you need to concern yourself with either!

Pittcity Tue 15-Dec-20 11:16:10

I read the notice from Google and they are going to delete/charge for inactive accounts. So if you have stuff saved on Gmail, googledrive etc but never access it you may lose it altogether.
PayPal is doing a similar thing in that if you have money in a PayPal account but you don't use it regularly you will be charged.
I think there are a lot of unused accounts online for this and that. All are taking up resources and the companies need to do something about it.

Sparkling Tue 15-Dec-20 19:45:05

Thank you all for your responses.

DonnaNoble Sat 26-Dec-20 17:56:17

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ferman Sun 24-Jan-21 23:59:28

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.