Gransnet forums

Technology

Sound bars

(20 Posts)
Patsyb71 Tue 09-Mar-21 18:39:15

Hi,
Does anyone have a sound bar on their TV. I'm finding voices becoming more muffled from the tv speakers and wondered if anyone can recomend a good clear soundbar, not too expensive, i have a Panasonic tv. Any information will be gratefully received.

Katek Tue 09-Mar-21 19:30:42

Groomers can still open as they are classed as an essential service on welfare grounds. I’m not talking about cosmetic grooming, but some breeds would be extremely tangled, tuggy and uncomfortable if not clipped regularly.

Oldbat1 Tue 09-Mar-21 19:40:19

Katek think you have posted on the wrong topic by mistake

Blossoming Tue 09-Mar-21 19:47:07

We have an LG SN7CY which is very good, but you wouldn’t find a good one for much under £300.

Buffybee Tue 09-Mar-21 19:47:20

Hi Patsy, I bought a new Samsung tv from Curry’s, two years ago and bought a Samsung soundbar at the same time. It was about £125 I seem to remember.
Worth every penny!
Not the cheapest but my son advised me to buy a decent one.
If you go into the store with the make of your tv, they will advise you.

Oldbat1 Tue 09-Mar-21 19:51:57

Hi we have had a sound bar for years but I couldn’t hear the dialogue on tv properly if we used it so it has sat underneath tv for last 3yrs doing nothing. We now both wear Hearing aids and both find the sound bar better than just using tv. We still use subtitles as well.

burwellmum Fri 12-Mar-21 10:41:00

We have a bose sound bar from John Lewis for this reason. I can really recommend one.

kittylester Fri 12-Mar-21 10:47:30

We have tried lots and lots with varying degrees of success. We have recently bought a Samsung with surround sound (?) which is recommended as being compatible with our Samsung TV. It cost a lot but has been very good.

Rose56 Fri 12-Mar-21 11:14:09

Bought a Sonos, really good

Greciangirl Fri 12-Mar-21 11:22:19

Same here. Voices on t.v. Seem muffled.

I have also thought about a sound bar, but note sure which one to buy.
A survey in Saga magazine about them recently recommended several, but they were hugely expensive.

kittylester Fri 12-Mar-21 11:31:45

We thought it was hugely expensive but reckoned that, as time passes, we will use it more and more!

Cabbie21 Fri 12-Mar-21 11:38:54

We have a Bose soundbar, but it doesn't improve poor quality recordings. Yesterday we watched a programme where the background music drowned out the speech and others where the dialogue is unintelligible. Unfortunately a soundbar just makes the problem louder but doesn't cure it.
My husband likes a lot of bass, so I am sure he has set it for more bass, which I find too booming. I go to bed before him and I can hear this noise from the TV upstairs(not the dialogue). However without the soundbar the TV sound is very tinny.

Squiffy Fri 12-Mar-21 12:37:25

We recently bought a Bose sound bar. Not cheap, but it’s made a massive difference to the sound quality. The sound on the tv was very tinny and almost rattled!

Candelle Fri 12-Mar-21 22:49:27

We have a sound system which gives sound from all around the room. However, it seems more formulated for music so I wouldn't recommend this to improve speech on the television.

I don't know how this compares to a sound bar but perhaps think of speaking to someone in a good quality audio shop for accurate advice.

Before doing the above, I have been told that you should be able to improve the spoken word on your television by adjusting the treble upwards and the base downwards. This may give enough clarity for your hearing/needs.

NotAGran55 Sat 13-Mar-21 05:22:27

We have a Bose system.

Patsyb71 Sat 13-Mar-21 06:12:20

Thank you all for your advice, I will try and visit our local tv shop when it opens and see what they recomend as well.

BigBertha1 Sat 13-Mar-21 07:09:46

You could ring a store that is selling on line like AO I find them very good with technical advice. We wouldnt be without ours a Sony. DH has two hearing aids so appreciates the clarity it gives. Doesnt help you to hear American actors that gabble.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 13-Mar-21 07:21:11

I had no ideas what sound bars are, thanks for this, I now know I need one, my hearing is dire.

vegansrock Sat 13-Mar-21 07:56:13

Another vote for Sonos. You can play your music through it as well.

StatenIsland Sat 13-Mar-21 08:39:05

What hi-fi reviews here:

www.whathifi.com/best-buys/home-cinema/best-soundbars

It depends on the keenness of your ear for bass, treble, cinematic sound etc.

Bose and Sonos are top end. There's a Roku coming in at under £100. I bought a Samsung T400 last year for £125 and it's fine but all I wanted was a volume boost and to be able to Airplay some audio content from my Macbook and iPhone.

Most soundbars have Bluetooth connectivity but your TV (even if newish) may not in which case you will need to buy an optical cable.