Gransnet forums

Technology

Self-Driving Delivery Robot

(25 Posts)
Chestnut Sat 12-Jun-21 14:24:07

Parcels, groceries and food are directly delivered from stores, at the time that the customer requests via a mobile app. Once ordered the robots’ entire journey and location can be monitored on a smartphone.
www.starship.xyz/
Any thoughts on this?
Do you need it, would you use it, does it scare you?
Here's one in action!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=eizd8ap8BgI

MawBe Sat 12-Jun-21 14:44:57

The first time I saw one of these a few years ago trundling down the cycle path beside the road I nearly freaked out - had the little green men arrived?
They are so cute but have not yet managed the extra few miles to our village, probably because there is no continuous footpath.

Chestnut Sat 12-Jun-21 14:58:36

They are being rolled out (excuse the pun) in a few areas, but I have no idea how they work in busy streets for instance. There are some videos on YouTube.
I think people tend to empathise with them, talk to them, wave goodbye etc. because we can't help but think they have feelings!

greenlady102 Sat 12-Jun-21 15:06:05

love it but it wouldn't work around here

MawBe Sat 12-Jun-21 15:07:29

Of course they have feelings!
Poor little chaps beetling along totally focused on doing their job and being good little robots! Hoping when they grow up they will become huge scary transformers!
(Like this)

Chestnut Sat 12-Jun-21 15:21:54

On no, don't get us emotionally connected to them, it will be too awful. I couldn't cope! We will be worrying if they're late with their delivery, have they been mugged, or got lost, or worst still had an accident? It will be like having a child all over again. ?‍♀️

Blossoming Sat 12-Jun-21 15:31:04

No. I doubt they would be able to negotiate the bridge and the level crossing.

Chestnut Sat 12-Jun-21 15:38:51

Blossoming how do you know the route it would take?
I've seen one and it was a long way from the shop where it came from! It had to cross a very busy main road into town for starters. I think you'd be surprised what they can do.

Jaxjacky Sat 12-Jun-21 15:43:44

Interesting, I thought drones were the focus for some deliveries.

Chestnut Sun 13-Jun-21 10:41:25

Not much feedback here on what people think of them. Do you need it, would you use it?

ginny Sun 13-Jun-21 11:31:14

My eldest DD lives in Milton Keynes where they are frequently seen and she does get shopping delivered by them.
I think it’s great idea in the right places and love to see them trundling along. They are very good at crossing the road and taking themselves back ‘home’.
On rare occasions I have heard of them getting stuck and they have very good manners if someone helps them.

Blossoming Sun 13-Jun-21 11:34:24

Chestnut

Blossoming how do you know the route it would take?
I've seen one and it was a long way from the shop where it came from! It had to cross a very busy main road into town for starters. I think you'd be surprised what they can do.

Because it is the only way to reach our house.

Alegrias1 Sun 13-Jun-21 11:37:09

Maybe they can float, like daleks grin

Blossoming Sun 13-Jun-21 12:04:16

It’s quite a steep climb from the river up to our house so hovering might also be useful grin.

Visgir1 Sun 13-Jun-21 14:37:56

Excellent can't wait to see one

Blossoming Sun 13-Jun-21 14:49:40

If you move to Milton Keynes you can see them now grin
www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/apr/12/robots-deliver-food-milton-keynes-coronavirus-lockdown-starship-technologies

Chestnut Sun 13-Jun-21 16:03:34

I think it's all fascinating. It would be interesting to know how they decide who can or can't get delivery. I imagine there are other things to consider apart from distance. Like steps, railway crossings, steep hills. But we won't know until it happens in your area.

Callistemon Sun 13-Jun-21 16:09:30

Would it deliver right to the front door? What if it stops at the end of the drive because it can't get past any parked vehicles then you have to go and unload your groceries and lug them all the way indoors?

Nothing will replace the smiling delivery person who may even hold the crate up so that you can unpack it more easily.

Not to mention that it's a very long way from the supermarkets to our house!

Thank you Tesco and Waitrose delivery drivers.

Callistemon Sun 13-Jun-21 16:11:07

Will they be allowed on motorways?

Can't see it being very practical except in limited circumstances

MawBe Sun 13-Jun-21 16:14:12

The distances they over do not involve motorways, they are very inch for “local” supermarkets with urban or suburban areas

MawBe Sun 13-Jun-21 16:14:50

Blossoming

If you move to Milton Keynes you can see them now grin
www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/apr/12/robots-deliver-food-milton-keynes-coronavirus-lockdown-starship-technologies

That’s where I saw my first one

Chestnut Sun 13-Jun-21 16:22:45

Callistemon - I don't think you will get a full grocery delivery with these. They are just baby robots! Ideal for a takeaway meal or some bread, milk and newspaper. I suppose it saves going out for just a few items if you are some distance from the shop. Perfect for people with mobility problems and no car.

Callistemon Sun 13-Jun-21 16:35:53

Chestnut

Callistemon - I don't think you will get a full grocery delivery with these. They are just baby robots! Ideal for a takeaway meal or some bread, milk and newspaper. I suppose it saves going out for just a few items if you are some distance from the shop. Perfect for people with mobility problems and no car.

Oh, I see.
Thanks Chestnut. It doesn't look as if it could carry a week's groceries but it is rather sweet and I'm not surprised if people chat to them.

Transformers - Robots in disguise
(Cue for a song)

TrendyNannie6 Sun 13-Jun-21 16:37:59

Ooh can’t wait to see one

Blossoming Sun 13-Jun-21 16:42:52

I would love one to carry my luggage when travelling. There have been some prototypes but they were very expensive. I can and do book assistance as required but like to be as independent as possible.