Gransnet forums

Technology

Lap tops versus computers

(9 Posts)
Fran49 Sat 26-Jun-21 12:21:05

Any techy people out there that can advise me about getting a computer or lap top. Budget deals, but proficient . If that makes sense. I would prefer touch screen really. But I am open to suggestions.

ElderlyPerson Sat 26-Jun-21 12:51:42

I use a laptop.

A lot depends on what you want to do with the computer.

For example, if you want to play fast video games then the machines cost a lot more than if you do not.

If you just want to do what is called "social computing" - emails, looking at the news, watching YouTube videos, looking at Gransnet and posting etc, OR if you want to use additional software to do desktop publishing, and/or computer art, etc.

halfpint1 Sat 26-Jun-21 12:55:55

I had a computer for 20 years and when it retired I decided
(on the advise of my adult children) to try a Chromebook
and just love it. Simple to use and move around to
which ever room I'm in.
I don't need all that technology that is available on a computer in fact it gave me a headache just to dive into it!

ElderlyPerson Sat 26-Jun-21 13:06:19

If you go to

www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/index.html

and search for

laptops

then sort by price

price - low to high

what is available will be displayed.

Depending on what you want to do you might like to take into account screen size, memory capacity and which operating system is installed.

For example, Windows 10 S is quite often used. It can be safer from malware from the internet, but there are restrictions as a result. The S can be switched off, but that loses the protection and if turned off cannot be turned on again.

I got recently a Hewlett Packard Laptop for around £200. It has Windows 10 S and 32 Gigabytes of memory - which is relatively low these days - but I only use it as my backup machine so that I can order groceries if this machine gets problems.

So a lot depends on for what you want to use a computer.

If you have it delivered next day by DPD you have two choices - either open the door and stand back while they photograph the parcel by the open door, or (what I do, it is an option they offer) put a note on the door before they come authorising the driver to leave it on the step or wherever and they photograph the parcel and the note and you can keep the door shut while the driver is outside your home. I added on the note a request to knock before he went so that I would know when he had made the delivery and he did that.

NotSpaghetti Sat 26-Jun-21 13:14:01

You need to think seriously about what you'll use it for.

I need a lot of RAM for example. My husband doesn't.
I'm not bothered about touch-screen as I have an ipad for that.
I wanted one that had a usb port that will link to an existing monitor, my husband doesn't.
My husband wanted a laptop. I'd rather have had a desktop but now we can manage with one laptop as we have bought one that works for both of us. I can just plug in my existing big screen for working. I have a USB port for my external hard drive so don't need to replace that just yet. Some of the newest models have fewer USB ports (or new design) so you need to upgrade plug-in-hardware or buy adapters (messy).

It was a difficult choice. I got the cheapest of the "faster" Dells. It's fine and does what we need... but it wasn't "cheap"!

ElderlyPerson Sat 26-Jun-21 13:16:54

halfpint1

I had a computer for 20 years and when it retired I decided
(on the advise of my adult children) to try a Chromebook
and just love it. Simple to use and move around to
which ever room I'm in.
I don't need all that technology that is available on a computer in fact it gave me a headache just to dive into it!

I don't know anything about chromebook but I have now found the following.

www.coolblue.nl/en/advice/chromebook-or-laptop.html

Looking on the Currys website they seem to be much about the same sort of price as a Windows 10 S machine though perhaps a bit cheaper.

It is a matter of choice depending on for what you want to use it.

Thoro Sat 26-Jun-21 14:57:30

I used to have a pc then moved to a laptop but when that died I got an iPad and now use that for all my needs

Barmeyoldbat Sat 26-Jun-21 15:13:44

We have a laptop and each of us has a ipad, all easy to use, see and move around the house. We are linked to our printer by Wifi and can print from any room. Love it.

Humbertbear Sat 26-Jun-21 17:28:28

I have a brand new iPad with a keyboard case. It does everything I need. I can remove it from the case and use the touch screen or I can touch type on the keyboard. Best of both worlds for me.