Gransnet forums

Technology

Car park ticket machines

(14 Posts)
Flexagon Thu 22-Jul-21 19:04:54

Before we went into lockdown I was using a seaside car park which switched from cash to the MOBON app. The app wasn't hard to use. You just entered your reg number and how many hours you needed.

However, the car park had a weekday rate (£8 all day) and a cheaper weekend rate (£3). First two times I used it, I was charged the weekday rate instead of the weekend rate. I was able to claim a £10 refund via the council but it was a faff.

I suggested that app hadn't been programmed with a calendar to distinguish between weekday and weekend. The council said they'd sort it out.

The last two times I used the car park, the machine was wearing a hoodie saying "out of service at weekends" so customers had free parking but a considerable loss of revenue for the council in a busy location.

Soroptimum Thu 22-Jul-21 19:00:04

Santana

Has anyone else had trouble with the seaside car park ticket machines. The new ones take cards as well as cash, have lots of unmarked buttons, and all seem to be different. I managed to switch one to German yesterday, and last week one asked me if I was a bus.
The worse one I've found is in a popular Dorset resort (will let you guess) that must have been there a while. 8 people in front of me, all of a certain age. Locals think the fines are deliberate to increase their income.
Hospital type, with a barrier where you take a ticket and pay at a pay station seem a bit clearer.
Am I the only dunce?

grin

Santana Thu 22-Jul-21 18:51:06

I love double deckers but that's the chocolate sort.
Can't imagine the pressure of them taking a photo and giving me 10 minutes, would take me most of that to find my purse, discuss how long we needed, then hobble to the machine.
Forgot about the one that said press the yellow button but all the paint had rubbed off.
I think I will give the apps a go to save some arguments at the machine.

geekesse Thu 22-Jul-21 18:23:52

Quite a lot of car parks allow payment via phone-based apps. I’ve saved a lot of hassle by downloading two of the most common apps and paying for parking using them instead of fiddling with unfamiliar and temperamental machines.

cornishpatsy Thu 22-Jul-21 18:18:27

I had to move to another car park yesterday as I could not get the machine to take a payment from my phone.

I do not like the car parks that film you number plate and then you get 10 mins to get a ticket or a fine comes through the post.

Charleygirl5 Thu 22-Jul-21 18:16:25

I live in London and at my local hospital car park it is cheaper to go by taxi!

Tea3 Thu 22-Jul-21 18:14:03

A lot of parking ticket machines seem unnecessarily complicated. People are not in an environment to easily understand a list of instructions, especially with a queue shuffling behind them.

Infinity2 Thu 22-Jul-21 18:11:01

My niece says where she parks you have to put your registration number into the machine. She says it takes three times as long as before due to people not knowing it or forgetting it by the time they get back to the machine after going to have a look ! ?

Shropshirelass Thu 22-Jul-21 18:01:57

No, I am always helping visitors to our town, but we have new machines and I am still trying to work my way round them. More by luck than judgement I might add!!

Infinity2 Thu 22-Jul-21 17:58:33

Had you changed your destination on your front Santana ? Did it think you were a double decker ?

eazybee Thu 22-Jul-21 17:46:50

No, they are deliberately confusing.
The sun makes it impossible to read when you attempt to type your car number .
None of them give change.
I believe Poole and Bournemouth have the highest revenues outside London.

Amberone Thu 22-Jul-21 17:01:08

^ and last week one asked me if I was a bus.^

??

AGAA4 Thu 22-Jul-21 16:58:30

No they are confusing and I have often seen perplexed people trying to navigate their way to a ticket.

Santana Thu 22-Jul-21 16:49:11

Has anyone else had trouble with the seaside car park ticket machines. The new ones take cards as well as cash, have lots of unmarked buttons, and all seem to be different. I managed to switch one to German yesterday, and last week one asked me if I was a bus.
The worse one I've found is in a popular Dorset resort (will let you guess) that must have been there a while. 8 people in front of me, all of a certain age. Locals think the fines are deliberate to increase their income.
Hospital type, with a barrier where you take a ticket and pay at a pay station seem a bit clearer.
Am I the only dunce?